Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do ?????? Nail almost off

Rottielover
December 5th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Ok, if things could not get any worse, on Sat Poor Harley was playing in a friends back yard with a lab. Well after about 10 mins he came running to me covered in blood on his leg.
I pulled him aside and and checked him out. Well poor little guy almost tore off his middle claw. I brought him inside, called the vet and asked what to do, well I did everything step by step. They told me if the bleeding does not stop, bring him in tomorrow.
Well he was brought in. They gave me 2 choices on sun. Either put him under and remove the nail. OR clean it everytime he goes out, and let it heal on it's own. I am trying the healing on it's own. Exercise is limited, more crate time.
He is in alot of pain. He won't walk on it anymore. So this moring before work, I went to pick up Metacam from the vet.
I do not like the long term effects of it, does anyone know if short time use can do that much damage.
Poor guy is really in alot of pain. Should I reconsider removing the nail ???

papillonmama
December 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry I can't answer either question, just wanted to say that I hope Harley feels better soon.

Rottielover
December 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Me too, he is so miserable, and in pain. :(. His walks have been reduced to short 5- 10 mins max. He is only using 3 paws :sad:

papillonmama
December 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Did the vet say how long it might take to heal?

Rottielover
December 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM
every dog is different....He did not give me a clue, he estimated anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. :(

papillonmama
December 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM
:fingerscr :fingerscr Ouch, poor fella, hope it's the sooner, and not the latter...

Lissa
December 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know if you've made your decision yet but this just happened to my friend's dog - only the choice wasn't hers!

After a bit of a fight at the dog park, her dog came away bleeding...his entire nail was ripped out...so off to the vet...$300 later her dog is fine...all the clinic could really do was clean and bandage the wound and put him on some antibiotics.

He is totally fine and is back to walking at the dog park with a bandaged paw and a heavy duty plastic bag on his foot so the bandaging doesn't get dirty. He was in pain the first 48 hours but is normal now!

How's Harley doing?

Rottielover
December 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I am at work now, so tomorrow i will give everyone an update. I WILL be taking him off Metacam, did more research on it, and I do not like it. I will be giving him buffered aspirin instead. I will let you know. But as of this morning he walked only on 3 paws. This was done Sat afternoon:(

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Do you have doggy boots? It might help him if you wrap it up when he goes outside. Jemma cracks her nails every winter and I haven't had any removed. I'd rather tough it out if it is possible. Anaesthetic too often during their lifetime is a bad thing and I don't like to do it if I have any other choice.

But boy do they bleed. When you go outside in the cold and come back in, they just start oozing. Every time. Exercise makes them bleed more too- the blood goes to the feet to cool down the body...

Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

jawert1
December 5th, 2005, 10:34 PM
The few times I've accidentally clipped one of Peaches nails too short (I know - not the same as it coming off entirely) :(, I've used styptic (sp?) powder to quell the bleeding. It's not the worlds greatest remedy, but in the short term, could be of some use :/