Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten has Sores/Scabs on Neck & Chin.

grayscalejpeg
December 4th, 2005, 08:30 PM
http://www.jjmediastudios.com/matt/personal/grayscalejpeg.jpg

I have two Cats that I adopted both when they were tiny little kittens. One is named Jpeg (Almost 3 years old) and the other is Grayscale (about 1 and half). They have been good healthy cats ever since I have gotten them. They are fed a good diet and I clean the litter box regularly. They have always been indoor cats except for one incident where Grayscale got out for about 6 hours.

Over the past few months Grayscale has developed some scabs on her neck while her sister Jpeg has not. I first though this was caused by them play fighting and the older sister was just being a bit rough, but I am beginning to think it something else. Like I said... her sister has not developed any scabs/sores at all. This leads me to believe that it isnt a parasite like mites or fleas but rather something different.

Maybe someone can help me out? I plan on taking to them to the Vet if no one on here has any easier treatment or ideas on what it might be.

Thanks.

:usa: Matt, Grayscale & Jpeg

Ker13
December 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Cat acne? Our baby kitten had what seems to have been a bout of acne after his last set of shots. The shots seem to have been coincidental, and the spots may have been caused by his plastic food bowl (he uses glass now). Looks almost like warts.

You should definitely take you kitty to the vet though, in case it's anything contagious or that can be exacerbated by contact.

dmc123
December 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM
In my case with Harley and Huxley, Harley received rougher grooming from Huxley and had sores all the time.

But please don't rule out other issues because of my experience with them. Harley now wears a harness, it gets in the way for Huxley to be so rough on sensitive neck areas, and provides a place to stitch a bandage to when it does happen. Also, since they look identical it helps at times to quickly identify them.

Diane

GSDMom
December 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM
If so, one of mine has this and its feline acne. Vets will tell you its plastic bowls, or one of many allergies, but basically it seems to be something some cats just get. Swiping their chins with Stridex pads has helped me in the past.

Copper'sMom
December 6th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Does Grayscale do alot of scratching or grooming herself or have you noticed she's been shedding more?? I'm wondering if the day she got outside - she picked up a flea or two. I have a cat who is allergic to fleas(flea saliva). She gets scabs on her head and neck. All it takes is one flea!! Run your fingers from her tail up towards the head to see if there are any spots on her back as well. They aren't always as noticeable unless you look for them.

But it's best to have your kitty see a vet to be absolutely sure of what the problem is as we are only posting our personal experiences with our pets here!!

grayscalejpeg
December 16th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Well I took my Kitty in.

Turns out she had an ear infection and had been scratching at her neck and chin so much she was causing the sores. They gave me some ear cleaning solution and some anti-bacterial ointments.

Hopefully all will be well!