Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Charley's Christmas Coat

PetFriendly
December 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Hot off the machine, here is Charley's new Christmas Coat. I can put these coats together now in under two hours, including all cutting and pinning. (Itsd also the only thing I can make with my sowing machine, but hey, better to practice on clothes that is worn by something who doesn't care if the stitch if off!

I'm thinking that if I can get my act togther, I'll have Christmas cards made next year with a simillar picture but with a better back ground.

susieqt
December 4th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Extremely cute coat and dog! Wow, under 2 hours to make a nice coat like that. It would take me forever! If you don't mind sharing, how much do you think it cost you in material?

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
So furry! Very cute and good job on the coat! Is it waterproof? (It looks it, which is why I ask...)

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
The coat is made from nylon, then lined with fleece. I've waterproofed the nylon with stuff I got at LeBaron.

The coats are cheap to make. Keep in mind the dogs are small, so one meter of each fabric is good for three coats. I hit a sale at Frabricland, 40% off so the material and velcro cost a total of $20 including taxes. Last time I made coats, I bought 'last years fabric' which was reduced by 50% so it cost about hte same as this time.

Lizzie
December 5th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Very cute, and professional! For those who can't or don't want to make their own, I saw that Old Navy has an entire doggy collection this year---most of which are made for mid to large sized dogs.

Of course, they aren't nearly as cute at the seasonal duds you've just made, but they'll do for those who are less able to sew.

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I should point out here that saying 'I can sow' is a little bit of a stretch. I can make dog coats (in three sizes) and hem the edge of a fleece panel to make a blanket... That's all I've managed to far.

I'd buy coas, but Charley is odd sized, and doesn't really care for the coats if they don't fit right so I make them myself and custome fit it.

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
oh, and I think the pattern (that I modified but it gave me something to work from) is a Simplicity pattern and cost less then $10.

shannonRN
December 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM
I'm thinking that if I can get my act togther, I'll have Christmas cards made next year with a simillar picture but with a better back ground.

I'm thinking, if you get your act together, you could start a small business. Ever considered it?

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking, if you get your act together, you could start a small business. Ever considered it?

I'd only go into business if it could support me.

The material costs for the coats and cards would be low, but the labour costs would be much higher. I'm expensive to keep alive if I don't have medical insurance (type 1 diabetes) so leaving my government job to become self employed wouldn't be feasible right now. Plus, I just don't have enough time in the day as it is so I wouldn't be able to do it part time.

shannonRN
December 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Well I can certainly understand that. But it's definitely something to keep in mind for when/if you have more spare time.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 12:30 PM
you said you can do 3 sizes, can you do one for a rottweiler. My baby hates the cold, loves the snow

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I need some grad caps, red with gold trim and black string. Let me know if you can make them. I would probably need them in 3 sizes if you are interested.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
The three sizes I've made range from 'silly small' (14 inch long dog) to ridiculously small (4 inch long puppy). But the pattern is there for something bigger.

If I were to make one big enough for a rottie, I'd have to charge you for my time, which means you might as well buy one because the costs would work out the same... Do you have access to a sowing machine? If I managed to pull it off, its idiot-proof and I could walk you through.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I just thought of something, if you can find material, and get it to me, I could probably make it and wouldn't worry about charing for my time (It'll just add to my non-existant portfolio instead :) ). I'll have to figure out how much material you're looking at, likely 1.5/2 meters of each, plus there's the cost of shipping, unless you're in Ottawa often... If you're in Ottawa let me know and we can figure something out as far as measuring and such... But it really sounds like buying one at the store (Apparently Old Navy is the new place to go for larger dog clothes) will be faster, easier and cheaper...

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I need some grad caps, red with gold trim and black string. Let me know if you can make them. I would probably need them in 3 sizes if you are interested.

A few hats for my favorite trainer however are different. Find the pattern (I'll look too) and we'll see what we can do. If I can hit the sale at Fabricland it'll be that much cheaper, sale is on until December 24th...