Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shih tzu has inflamed feet

Lois
December 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM
My year old shih tzu has an inflamation around his pads (pads seem ok) also lower lip line (more so in the folds). It doesn't seem to bleed, but his white feet are turning a reddish brown. He does not bite them but he does lick them somewhat. He has seen the vet 4 times in six weeks and is not getting better. He has been getting cortizone shots, and for the last month a antifungal/antibacterial rinse. I think this is irritating his eyes. The vet thinks it is allergy. I am not sure i agree. It is worse since he has been treated. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Lucky Rescue
December 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Welcome Lois!:)

What are you feeding your dog? Certain foods can cause problems in some dogs.

raingirl
December 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
That's exactly what my rescue bulldog had when we got him. vet said was probably allergies, most likely food allergies. He licked his paws a lot, and the fur was a reddish brown. We tried many foods and finally found one that he didn't react too and he is SOOOO much better. We have him on Dick Van Patton's duck and potato allergy formula.

BMDLuver
December 4th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Do you by any chance crate him when you are out in a wire crate?

Lois
December 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I will mention food allergy to my vet tomorrow. Bingo is on several Purina dry dog foods (mixed together for variety) with a small amount of cooked meat. Milk Bone Biscuits. He also likes, and gets, tiny bites of apple, raisins, and a teaspoon. of ice cream occasionally. He is inside most of the time. Never in a crate, always on carpeting. He sleeps in my waterbed. He is very smart and able to communicate his needs. I appreciate your ideas. Thank You:pawprint:

Lucky Rescue
December 4th, 2005, 10:40 PM
You need to get him off the Purina food AND the Milk Bones.

Purina dog chow is very cheap food, loaded with corn and other inexpensive fillers and can certainly cause skin problems and allergies in dogs.

There's a lot of good foods out there and I really suggest you switch him over.

Give it about 6 weeks on the new food to see if the problem abates.

Shaykeija
December 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Sophie has this on her front legs. Our wet said it was caused from her rubbing her face on them. The staining comes from her eyes. She has really wet eyes and she does rub them a bit. She has no allergies, is on duck and potatoe diet and suffers a little from dry skin. My fault for bathing her too much trying to keep her legs from turning that reddish brown.

Lois
December 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
:pawprint: Bingo saw the vet again today. He is on Hill's z/d allergen free precription diet and a cortizone lotion for his feet. If this does not work in a few weeks we will go for the food allergy testing. He says the staining is from saliva. He told me their is pigment in tears and saliva that cause the reddish brown color on his feet. Thank you so much for the advice.

Byrd
December 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
My mom's Shih Tzu has that too.... vet said it was an infection.