Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

He barked to go out !!!!

joeysmama
December 3rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Thank you to everyone who answered me and gave me advice in my "reinforcement" thread. I was going to go back and ask for more advice because he had 3 piddles in the house today. I thought that he was maybe so anxious for the treat that he wasn't finishing and then had to go again too soon.

But then, about 2 hours ago, the puppy went to the door and sat there and barked at it. He's not a barker, usually only if he wants attention to play. So I took him right out and he immediately started to run around, a sure sign that he has to make a poopie. (He's still a puppy so it's "poopie") Sure enough he did !!

This is the first time he has let us know he had to go out. It's been about 2 and a half weeks. I just had to share and this is the only place where I knew I could without people thinking I was a "crazy dog person". :crazy:

Thanks again. This site rocks !!:thumbs up

BMDLuver
December 3rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Did you do the happy dance when he did? and get the sweet good doggie voice? I can so totally relate, lol. :thumbs up

papillonmama
December 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
One small step for puppy, one giant step towards doghood!:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
Awwww - what a good boy!! I hope you acted like he just won gold in the Olympics.:p

Now that is deserving of a major treat!!

OH, and my dog is 6 and it's still a "poopie". LOL!

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 01:31 AM
YEY! I love it when you know they've learned something.:highfive: (My doggies' command is "Number 2"... They understand "code" :D )

joeysmama
December 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM
LOL !! Yes we did the happy dance !! He got his treat and he got praised to the high heavens and he KNEW he was a good doggie. Heck, all the NEIGHBORS knew it too. And the puppy was all fur and pride. And my daughter's BF called to ask us what he should get her for Christmas and we told him all about it. (My daughter is going to kill me when she hears that one;) . )

This morning he stepped out into hsi first snow. He took a step, hit the snow and stopped dead in his tracks. He investigated for a minute and then he was fine. And he did his pee pees and poopies no problem. I feel so encouraged. Of course I know that this isn't the end of housebreaking, so I promise to be patient. (He's probably standing behind me right know filling a moat around my desk chair !:crazy: )

TracyG
December 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM
How did you teach him to bark to go out?

joeysmama
December 6th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I don't think that I really taught him to do that. He seems to be pretty smart. I will say this though. I always take him out the same door, every time. And it has glass panes. A couple of times I stepped out that door and he barked to come out because he could see me there. So that may have helped. I don't know.

Tonight my husband corrected him because he was chewing on the cord of the torchiere. After a few "No"'s and taking him away he got busy with a doggie toy. Well a short time later my husband went upstairs and the puppy lifted his head, listened to my husbands footsteps a minute and when he realized he was gone he made a beeline for that cord !!

I think he's pretty smart so I don't think I'll take credit for teaching him anything.;)

sprayeddog
December 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
It's nice if your dog would bark to go out, but I think it's not something you can train ... our beagle knew it, but our lab doesn't.

When Matty needs to go, he just sits in front of the backdoor. We know it means he needs to go and we let him out. We can typically catch it when he's waiting at the backdoor.

Except for one time, after his dinner we played hide and seek with him inside the house ... he found us eventually, after leaving a few 'drop-lets' on the floor. But it's our fault ... I figure he may have tried sitting at the door but we're hiding from him so the poor guy had to hold it while looking for us.

Barking at the door would be handy in that situation. ;)

SD