Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Christmas Newsletter

Shamrock
December 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Love em or hate em?

I received my first Christmas card yesterday - well mass-mailed newsletter actually. It began... "We hope 2005 has been memorable for you!
Yes..... it has..:sad:

As has been the case for the last 20 years, it then launched into a postively glowing report of the stunning achievements, awards, successes of each and every member of their household.

They have a lovely family, and I am truly pleased that they are happy, well, and successful.

But.. I can honestly say that I have always found these to be a form of "boasting"... and not necessarily mindful of the recipient's who may find all this a stark contrast to their own circumstances.

I realize some people love these... but I can tell you.. it didnt make MY day.

Maybe I am just a grinch...:eek:

Prin
December 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM
We only got one about 10 years ago- and it wasn't addressed to us :evil: and we opened it and had a good laugh. I think they are the most arrogant, thoughtless things ever. "We want to gloat but we don't have time to send you a personal letter"- that what it says to me. Are people that important that they have to send newsletters? Newsletters are for companies and associations with mailing lists in the thousands, not little family crap.

And for them to start off like that? How insensitive. It's like they don't give a rat's hiney about what is happening with you so long as you know how great they are. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
December 3rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
I think they border on rude and impersonal... meaning if you can't take the time to write a little note or keep in touch then why subject me to a Christmas letter?

Natasha Hartman
December 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
I don't believe my family or I have ever received a "family newsletter". Franlky I didn't know there WAS SUCH A THING as a family NEWSLETTER!!! How utterly pathetic!!! Talk about ARROGANT! Please don't let these no class morons get you down!!! They obviously don't have much to do with their time as it takes a good while to make those things!!!!:rolleyes:

Puppyluv
December 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Arrgh I hate the things!!! We get one from some family friends, not even family... it's just seems like 5 pages of endless bragging (or truth-stretching, if there's nothing to brag about:p ) Honestly, who has the time to write the things? What makes them worse is that now, we get a hard copy and an email copy.. you know, "just in case" :rolleyes:

Bearsmom
December 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
We get an annual Christmas letter from my American side of the family, and it continually waxes poetic about how awesome their entire family is. It's pretty nauseating to read, and I'm frequently tempted to write one back, something along these lines: (written entirely tongue in cheek)

Dear _______:

Well, another year has come and gone, and here we are at Christmas! This past year, Kaos the puppy finally learned the hazards of chewing on electrical cords, but don't worry, the vet promises that he'll be back to normal soon.

Bear ate one of the local neighbour's cats, and threw it up all over the dining room table during our annual Thanksgiving feast. What a mess, but we used the remains as a lovely centerpiece. The vet also promises that Bear will be over his prey drive shortly.

Grandma reached her 80th birthday and still insists on telling me how fat I am. That's okay, though, my weight gain continues, and am growing rapidly.

Our two year old boy continues to grow like a weed. One fine day, his mom dropped something, issued the expletive of "holy ******", and now our little light of our lives uses it at every opportunity, presents a bit of a challenge at Sunday church services when he hollers THAT out.

Hope all of you are well.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Shamrock
December 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
LOL. Bearsmom! That is perfect!
I dont know if any of you remember the late Erma Bombeck, but she had a hilarious reply to these newletters.
If it wasnt so mean-spirited, I could fire off my own year's update to illustrate the point they perennially seem to miss - that not everyone is having a great year.

I am so glad that I am not the only one who finds these a bit .. hard to swallow.:crazy:

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 12:45 AM
LOL Bearsmom!! That was great!
I liked this part (I used to have that same grandmother...)
Grandma reached her 80th birthday and still insists on telling me how fat I am. That's okay, though, my weight gain continues, and am growing rapidly.

Oh and you forgot something about the hubby, like "Bob had an affair this year, but it's ok because she was a butt ugly skank." :evil:

Lucky Rescue
December 4th, 2005, 01:11 AM
OH those shameless Notifications of Superiority disguised as letters - LOL!!

I'd like to send something along these lines:

"Dear friends, once again it's time for us to fill you in on all our wonderful doings for the year. We do it this way since we don't care enough about you to actually call, visit, or send a real letter.

2005 was not the greatest year for us! In February Bob was let go by his company, and even though the charges of embezzling were eventually dropped, the legal fees sent us into backruptcy.

I became so depressed that I took a medical leave from my job and took off to Mexico for a month with one of my former students. Turns out he was younger than I thought, and I am now also unemployed and had to put my mother's house up as collateral for my bail.

Bob couldn't cope alone, fell off the wagon and went on another bender, which resulted in little Billy acting out and setting the house on fire and little Mary began wetting her pants again.

I returned just in time to learn that our dogs ran away when the house burned down, which wouldn't have been so bad except our homeowners insurance had lapsed just prior to the bank forclosing on us.

Bob and I have reconciled and just purchased a 1966 VW van so we can visit all of our friends now that we are homeless. We look forward to seeing you all very soon!

We do have some good news! We found the dogs safe and sound and are sure you'll enjoy having them visit as well, since they are nearly housebroken!

May the blessing of this holy season fill you with joy and peace!

The Smith Family"

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I like the "not housetrained" bit. :D Heh heh- car rides give Boo the runs... Can we drive over for a visit?:evil:

chico2
December 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM
We get 3 every Christmas,one from the real-estate agent who sold us our home 30yrs ago(as if I care how their nieces and nephews are doing!)
One from a former friend in Florida,who has an absolutely perfect,successful year every year,brilliant kids etc....
The 3rd one being one with the families total medical-records:D
Don't get me wrong,I want people to be happy and I love to get pretty,funny cards,but a"Merry Christmas friend!"is all that's needed,it's nice to know you are remembered..

Shamrock
December 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
LOL... I love your letter, Lucky! That really gave me a laugh!:thumbs up

I usually just view this annual brag-fest I get with a kind of tolerant amusement.
Guess my tolerance and amusement levels must be down a litre or two..

gomez
December 4th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I generally hate them also - except one that we get from a very elderly great-aunt, it starts out:

"This is what happened in the past year:"

Then she proceeds to list every movie, play, tv show, documentary, museum, outing, visit, etc. that she took in over the past year, it's actually kind of sweet...

melanie
December 5th, 2005, 05:14 PM
oh your all grinches, its not that bad really.:D but crap your funny grinches for sure:D

i get one from an aunt in new zealand, we are a very big faimly, all up i have over 30 aunts and uncles, not to mention dozens and dozens of cousins and such. its all a bit confusing most of the time.

now this aunt of mine is a twin, her twin died 3yrs ago, and since then the letters have come yearly, its really obvious that she loves us all and jsut wants to feel liek a family.

the letters tell of the family for the year, i have enver thought of it as boastful. it is generally telling of my little cousins acheivements at school, and home and my uncles work and such. i jsut never found them boastful, just sweet to think that she wants to share.

i also find it great to hear what my family over there are doing, its not like i ever speak to the and christmas is the only time we communicate (you try communicating in such a huge family, not possible:o ).

i dont know, i like them and have to admit i was thinking of doing something similar in the next few yrs, its just a nice little snap shot of all the good things in the year, nothing bad, just all the positives that they have. so many bad crappy things happen, its just nice to recieve this positive and happy letter with no bad stuff in it.

but now im reconsidering ever doing it, crap to much worry now.

but your al lthe cutest, funniest grinches ive ever known, and im glad i have you grinchy types to brighten up my days, OH YOUR ALL SO DAM CUTE i could just queeze ya (thems the nice happy preggers hormones speaking, oh crap your so cute i think im gunna cry).:D :D

chico2
December 5th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Awww Mel,you are the cutest,even though it might be the baby talking:D
If I had a large estranged family,I might be curious too,as to what is going on.
The once I get are from almost strangers...I actually got a card today from my realestate agent/distant friend,no more bragging,boasting,inpersonal letter attached:thumbs up

Roxy's_MA
December 5th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I have never really cared for these letters. They are not as bad if they write a personal message in the card along with the letter. I find them very impersonal. My mom used to write these letters and I hated them. There would be two paragraphs about my brother, James and everything he had going on. Then there would come my paragraph, struggle to find something good to say about Karen, come on one more sentence, she had to of accomplished something this year. I was always the black sheep of the family and to me these letter served nothing more than to highlight that. I hate the things, thank goodness mom doesn't write them anymore.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 5th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Chico2We get 3 every Christmas,one from the real-estate agent who sold us our home 30yrs ago(as if I care how their nieces and nephews are doing!)

we got one from a real estate agent too. Except he wasnt our agent and we never bought or sold a house with him. But little Johnny is doing really well at soccer, and missy just started piano lessons.

One of our friends now emails her xmas letters. Personally I hate them, their so us, us look at how fabulous our lives are. I am sure we are all just dying to know what those people have been up too for the past 365 days.

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM
i dont know, i like them and have to admit i was thinking of doing something similar in the next few yrs, its just a nice little snap shot of all the good things in the year, nothing bad, just all the positives that they have. so many bad crappy things happen, its just nice to recieve this positive and happy letter with no bad stuff in it.

but now im reconsidering ever doing it, crap to much worry nowI think that you need some negatives in there too, just to humanize it and so you don't sound like you're gloating. Like for Mel: "We got pregnant this year, and once I was done with the hard-core morning sickness and the after lunch sickness and the evening sickness, I finally got to enjoy my time off from work." You know? HUMAN! We can watch fake happy people on tv.:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 5th, 2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.anickoftime.ca/xmas/xmletter.html

here is the reply letter.

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I do get a few like that and while I admit is can be nice to hear what is going on with their life (well, for the most part - I don't mind reading that "Emma" made the honoure roll again and "Susie" is the class valectorian but I can do without the pix of the house that looks like the pictures were stolen from Arhictecture Digest - Maybe I'll send mine - after YY has thrown toys all over the room, lol

No family is perfect and just once, I wish they would include the bad with the good. I do have some friends who do include both but it is those photocopied bragging newslatters that drive one to distraction. Oner year, I sent out a response to one especially frustrating correspondent - the one with the perfect children and the home only found in managasine - and wrote about a day in a my life at work. Then I asked, given how well her family was doing, that I was sure she would not mind donating to our hospital's fund - I even dangled the prospect of a named plaque and how she would be showing such a great example to her beautiful children (in the air brushed photos - I mean I think all kids are cute but this woman went all out with her photos, her kids were brilliant, beautiful, altruistic, talented (they sing and dance and whatever else) so imho, there was no view to add to their accomplishments- and she is one of these women who has great kids in spite of her, lol . She wrote back and said she would be hjappy to send a check to our Foundation - and made a point of noting it in the next letter. No check ever came tho - so I kind of lost ou on that number. Any ideas what I do next.

Write my own snarky newsletter that includes - "thanks for your promise of a check. Our office wondered if it was lost in the mail?"

I do wish ppl would not write thse photocopied mailouts - it is so impersonal, even when they do not gloss over the bad stuff. (There are also the drama Qeens - I have one friend, a former assistant who used to work for me and now works in one of the best labs in NYC- where they do crtical DNA testing) and her missives are dramatic novels. She is a single mom and grandmom and there is very little that has not happened. A typical year includes new grandchildren - she has twins the same age as grandchildren - and most of her kids have different fathers (not being judgememtal here, just she has interesting stories), her son worked for a guy who was murderded anc cut up in his freezer by a relative, another daughter needed a lawyer after a child wandered out of the house in the middle of the night, one son is in Iraq - and she loves the military. And she has the boss from hell. I have to admit her letters are more interesting than all the other perfect people put together!!

Shamrock
December 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
JECM - that really made me LOL!!:D