Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog training / behavior

pitbulliest
December 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has any information about dog training and dog behavior diplomas in Toronto. Is there a dog behavior / training school someone in Ontario? And I don't mean for the dogs..but for people?

StaceyB
December 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Each school/facility will usually have their own training program

pitbulliest
December 3rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
yeah but the thing is, I don't know of any schools really..I'm not familiar with training facilities around here..

StaceyB
December 3rd, 2005, 05:22 PM
I would look some up and go watch their classes to see if you like their methods or who's you like best and then check into training with them. There are some places that will hold training lessons. Sorry, I don't know which ones do. You may be able to find out that info online for the Toronto area.

papillonmama
December 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Here's a link to some...

http://www.torontodogs.com/training.htm

The groomer recommended 'Who's walking who'.

StaceyB
December 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
From what was there the only one that I would suggest you check out is the same one your groomer suggested.

twodogsandacat
December 4th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Itís really like an old time trade where you learn from somebody else. Find a mentor as suggested.

Once you have developed some talent join a couple of organizations so you have some Ďpapersí for those that like to ask questions like that before taking you seriously. I mean even Michael Bryant has papers but he certainly isnít close to being a good lawyer Ė and he even taught law. In May heíll see what a good lawyer can do.

Go with the mentor. Book smart people fall apart two feet from the book.

If you need some practice dogs I've got two that could use some help.

StaceyB
December 4th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Take a look at your skills to see whether or not you will make a good teacher or need to work on specific areas.
There are some skills that you may not have thought of.
Learning all the training cues and information is only one part. How are you at teaching others, public speaking, selling(yourself) are other needed skills. You know that there are good trainers and bad, maybe the bad ones don't have these other skills needed to make good trainers.

Saradog
December 4th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but there's a Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers...

http://www.cappdt.ca/public/jpage/1/p/Home/content.do

I don't think there's any formal education program (ie. college or technical school) for dog trainers, just the new gen learning from the old it seems.

StaceyB
December 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
You will want to find someone who keeps up with everything.

seeker
December 4th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Michael Bryant has papers

Twodogsandacat . Sorry I am not trying to hijack this but when you said this all I could think of was Bryant's "papers" lining my birdcage.
I'll go away now .