Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mouth or stomach problem?

mu99le
December 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
hi all, it's me again....my kitty has recovered from the swollen cheek, but he's having another problem now. these past few wks he seems to have difficulty digesting as he always crouches down and closes his eyes and appears as if feeling an internal pain after meal. he also swallows often and drinks a lot of water (the latter has been going on for quite a while). and today he starts to drool and omits bad breath. we're taking him to the vet again tomorrow, but before that i wonder if anyone has had exactly similar problem? is it dental or digestion problem? he lost his canines several months ago, i wonder if this could be the problem? his gum appears normal though...not inflammed or anything. any ideas? thanks.

jawert1
December 3rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
I'm not a vet, however, it sounds more digestive than dental, if you can have the vet do an x-ray tomorrow at your appointment, I would. He may have eaten something he shouldn't that's causing him distress. Good luck and post back when you get back from the vet as to how he's doing :pawprint:

Prin
December 3rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
I can't help but I hope you come back with an update after seeing the vet...

mu99le
December 3rd, 2005, 10:51 PM
hi all...

it's the throat alright, the vet examined it and it was so inflammed. he's given antibiotic injection which apparently made him feel much better, also prescription for oral medication. we still think he needs blood test though, to see if there's another health problems. too bad we can't do it today because it's sunday and the laboratory's not open. will update you on how things goes, and maybe will upload 1-2 pics tomorrow. thanks for your responses :love:

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad your doggy got diagnosed quickly and I hope it clears up soon.:fingerscr

mu99le
December 4th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad your doggy got diagnosed quickly and I hope it clears up soon.:fingerscr

hi...it's a kitty not a doggy, but thanks all the same :love: i attach his pic...as u can see, his skin and fur's not in good form, which is too bad since he's a beautiful kitty. hopefully as the throat problem clears up his coat will appear better...i sincerely hope there won't be more serious underlying health issue.

Prin
December 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! I have to lose the habit of writing 'doggy' for everything...:o

I hope the drugs do him some good. The vet didn't say anything about the coat?

mu99le
December 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I hope the drugs do him some good. The vet didn't say anything about the coat?

ya he did...apparently my kitty shed some fur and the vet said it may be because of the infection he's suffering. then again, the throat infection may be caused by some hair that got caught in his throat when he cleaned himself, so that means the shedding probably has occured before the infection. i just hope it's only a skin problem and not a sign of more serious illness that's related to the infection.