Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Official Christmas display thread

shannonRN
December 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Well, 'Clark' has started to do his thing around the house, a little late this year, but still timely I guess. He says he's not done yet...but I have no idea what else he is planning.

Sorry these aren't very good--it's hard to stabilize a camera when it's freezing cold out and, like a dumbass, you're running around without gloves or a coat.

This is the first thing you see as you turn down the driveway...our little family of deer and the blob toward the center is a snow angel. It's really cute, when it's not a big blur, really! Boy, I guess I really didn't get any good photos. Oh well :)

shannonRN
December 2nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
The snowflakes were on the side of the garage. THis is the front of the house...The dark area in toward the center is the front entrance where I forgot to turn on the big wreath on the front door, so it's really dark. Actually, now I realize that he didn't put our lighted topiary tree by the door either, so things are still really dark there, he must be slipping in his old age! And the candles are wrapped up with the tree decorations (don't have the tree up yet) so those aren't in the windows either. Guess I'm a little premature with the pics :o The holidays are just so much fun though.

shannonRN
December 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Note to self: next time, try using flash and a pair of gloves, at least!

Anyhoo, when you other folks get your lights up, take some pics and post them--spread around a little Christmas cheer!

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 11:06 PM
Flash won't work- it'll just light up the ground in front of you. I think those pics are great! Very pretty lights.:)

melanie
December 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM
hey thats fantastic, just beautiful, those pics are pretty good too really makes the decoration stand out for sure..

we dont dress our house, well not yet, give it a few years and im sure i can talk hubby round, but my fav thing to do on christmas eve, is to go and check out all the beautiful houses. oh but i do dress the inside, of course, i only have 7 santas though, which to me is pathetic, hubby says no more santas, crap hes such a grinch, but a cute one at least (it makes it easier to handle):D .

over here entire streets dress the houses and raise money for charity, you just give a coin when you visit, it truly is one of the best parts of christmas.

yay more lights ppl, more lights i need them....

Roxy's_MA
December 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM
How very pretty your lights are. I would love to have some spectacular lights in my yard. I saw a really cute polar bear like the reindeer in the pictures above. I can't afford them this year. I have one string of red, green and white lights going all the way around my house and that is it.

I was curiuous if anyone has ever seen candy cane lane in Edmonton. There are about 200 houses in a about two blocks. all of them except 9 decorate. It is a really nice outing to walk candy cane lane and look at all the lights. Bring the dog and a cup full of coffee and Bailey's I am good to go. Some day I would like to buy a house on candy cane lane, just so I can be apart of all the decorating. I guess it gets quite competetive between the neighbors.

jjgeonerd
December 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Nice lights! I'm lazy and don't do anything.

Check out this guy's lights...hands down the craziest I've ever seen...make sure the sound is on because they are set to music.

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/1033/Best_Christmas_Lights_Display_Ever

shannonRN
December 5th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Aw, you guys are too kind. THanks.

over here entire streets dress the houses and raise money for charity, you just give a coin when you visit, it truly is one of the best parts of christmas.

I think that is a great idea! We live in the middle of nowhere, so we couldn't really start something like that, but we do have a 'charity' contest with some friends down the road...whoever has the nicer display gets served dinner by the "losers". Just for fun of course. And in the closest town there's a Christmas light contest, sponsored by---you guessed it---the electric company. Would be nice to have a charitable thing tho.

shannonRN
December 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Check out this guy's lights...hands down the craziest I've ever seen...make sure the sound is on because they are set to music.

I just spent about 10 minutes waiting for that to load over my slow connection and wow, those are just nuts! I thought it would be some tacky monstosity, not a high-tech masterpiece! Awesome. Just awesome. Can't wait to show Mark.

jjgeonerd
December 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I agree...pretty amazing. Apparently the music is broadcast over an FM signal so the neighbors don't killl him! :p I'm sure they love the flashing lights though! :eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 5th, 2005, 09:07 PM
that is cool, but even without the music, those lights would drive me crazy.

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Imagine the neighbors trying to sleep? At least Clark Griswold's didn't flash!

BoxerRescueMTL
December 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Shannon your lights and house are soooooo pretty! I love xmas lights!!!! :crazy:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 13th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Here are ours as you can see we got part way up the roof on the left side and chickened out. My neighbour was helping and had to attend a family function, he was supposed to come back, but my hubby said you know what I think he doesnt really want too.I tried to go up too but got scared. I ended put the remaining lights on the trees in the front. Tommorow we get our xmas tree.

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Your Lights are great both of yours.
I have my tree up but all other lights are not happening this year.
We usually have a nativity scene on the front lawn of our house. However, this year as a christmas present, I'm getting a new basement floor and they have to pour the cement through the window. And take down my fence and wreck the flower bed but it will all be worth it in the end. Right? Right

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Wrong picture since we're talking lights.

StaceyB
December 13th, 2005, 10:00 PM
That musical one was played on Ellen today.

papillonmama
December 13th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Nice lights all, and tree.;)
I love Christmas, it's defenitely my favourite time of the year.
We haven't put any lights up on the outside of the house, I don't think we'll get to that part this year, but our tree was put up a week ago. It's really Charlie Brown, but I like it.:D

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Hey cool tree. not charlie Brown at all at least not next to ours. I watched those lights way dizzy. I think if I was on his street there would be a limit to how long they could flash (2 hours after dark and then you're out of luck)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Cool lights everybody! We put our tree up yesterday. I was so upset because I thought I was going to have to buy it at the grocery store (which is so not traditional or special in anyway...) but then I passed a farm on my way home and stopped off and got one from them instead. It's so full and lovely. :)

My bf got into it too, which has never happened in the four years we've been together. That in itself is the greatest thing ever. :love:

It's funny too how you don't notice how much bigger your rooms are after you move till you get a tree that fits in the new one- now my tree is definitely lacking in ornaments...

All I need now is a digicam!:D

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Yay! More lights! WooHoo!

JECM, that is so funny about your lights. I wouldn't climb up there either--I really want to put a big star or something up on the chimney, but Clark for some reason isn't 'feeling' that. I'll be darned if I'm getting up there to do it. I love your little trees though--I want something just like that but we only have BIG pines or the crab apple trees that we do in red.

That is so sweet Prin--you've already gotten a great Christmas gift :love:
I can't wait for you to go digital--I want more people around here to post pics as gratuitously as moi!

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 01:54 AM
What? You haven't seen enough of Jemma's growly face? Here it is! Just kidding. I'm not gonna hijack (I have limits- she has to be on topic..:) )

I can imagine Clark(s) not wanting to do that- they have to do it in October when it's still warm and the roof isn't slippery.:D

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Aha, well it IS 'my' thread after all, and I don't take it personally if it gets hijacked...But really, when I read that, I thought 'I can't believe she is going to post that pic again...'

Re: the star on the roof--I have brought the idea up for a few years now and suggested it again very early this year but he still doesn't wanna. Maybe it's a hormonal thing!

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 02:12 AM
LOL I know, I've been refraining so I don't get voted off the island...:D

What really gets a man to move is when a woman steps in to do it... All the men I know can't handle it when the woman does something "heroic" and lives to tell the tale of how they had to do it because the man was too cowardly...:evil: :D

papillonmama
December 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Hey cool tree. not charlie Brown at all at least not next to ours.

Hehe Bushfire,
it's not Charlie Brown in the last pic, but here's the original. You can't see it very well, but the cats have been using the bottom branches for stealth attacks and they're all bent dwn to the ground now. Silly kitty's!
My kitty's worked hard on the blinds....
Maybe that's what I should get myeslf for Christmas.:)

Bushfire2000
December 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I just love Christmas and Christmas decorations. Shannon I just cann't belive how nice your lights are, I wish we did something even half as nice as that.

I used to pass this farm that had ho ho ho out lined on their buildings it was cool to be driving on the highway and look over to see ho ho ho. Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

Bushfire2000
December 14th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Pappillonmama your tree looks fine ,the blinds, though I'm worried about, do they need surgery? a transplant purhaps?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I walked by a house yesterday when I was taking Joey for a walk. I think it could have been on the ugly xmas lights website. They had made two huge traigular xmas trees out of disposable pie plated then stuck lights inside the pie plates. then it was all stuck to the front of the house. Then there was about 8 blow up Santa figurines on the front lawn. I would have taken a pic but I didnt have my camera with me, and the owners might of caught me.

Bushfire2000
December 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Joey.E.CockersMommy maybe it looks better at night??:fingerscr

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Oh my, didn't even notice those blinds!

My philosophy on Christmas lights is the 'different strokes for different folks' thing. Not everyone likes the same stuff. Even when I see a display that I think is a monstrosity, I'm still glad to have seen them--they add to my holiday spirit anyway. The pie plate things sounds...."creative". :)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
LOL the blinds! You know in recent years blinds have gotten a lot cheaper. Better get new ones before somebody gets you some for Christmas... (who wants blinds for Christmas?!):D

I agree Shannon. As long as you're not "bah humbugging" everybody, go ahead!

There's a house near here with a TINY property (and I mean TINYYYY) and every square inch is filled with those blow up Christmas things. It's really funny. They're all mooshed together. :D

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Well, I believe this could spawn another thread--but the most unexciting Xmas gift I ever received was a toaster. (I was 12 when this was given to me, by the way). And when I was a little older, I received a clothes iron. I've never received blinds before though. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Here is our lovely tree, I actually put our tree lights on the window, and the indoor icicle lights are on the tree, it worked sort of.......I think????:rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Actually I received the ultimate xmas gift today. I am sure you will all be envious.

I came home earlier than expected today, my husband looked surprised and said oh no your home early I didnt have time to wrap your gift.

Sitting on our kitchen table was a brand new still in the box, lovely shiny white plastic toilet seat. :D :D

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 12:49 AM
That was a joke right? That better have been a joke. Otherwise the pets.ca girls might have to have a "talk" with him...:evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Well we will see what he feels about the nice brand new plunger that I will have waiting under the tree for him. :evil:

Schwinn
December 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
My house is pretty boring. I've got great ideas, but I'm afraid of putting the ladder up on the porch roof to reach the second roof. I just got home from Florida on Saturday, put up the lights that afternoon, and it's dark when I get home, so I don't think I'll be adding any this year. :sad: But I've got some ideas for next year, and I don't think we're going anywhere, so I have LOTS of time to build!! :D

By the way, great displays, guys! And Joey, I'm glad to see someone else is using the traditional "candy" lights (the ones where the colours are solid, not see through). I always insist on using those ones. I bought a couple of boxes, because they are hard to find.

Prin
December 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I have to undo all my outside decorations... I just got a card from Costco saying the LED lights I bought are recalled.:rolleyes: Aw well. They served their purpose this year already, so at least I get my money back.:D Rental Christmas lights!!

AliSam
December 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
This is our tree. Kinda blurry as I am a rotten photographer. You can see the reflection of some of our outdoor lights through the window.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 23rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
My husband tried to talk me into buying a turkey breast this year and not the whole turkey. Its just not the same without the whole turkey, and a whole chicken isnt the same either.

Anyways I went to the superstore on my day off and got the turkey, legs and all. Before my hubby could go out and get a legless version.....phewww!!