Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My pregnant cat was vaccinated

hollybug26
September 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM
I inherited a full bred Persian from my former roommates because she was missing when they moved out of state. I found her a few days after they left & she has been with me ever since. I took her to the vet to get her shots updated & have her wormed (she had tapeworms). The vet was about to give her the shots, but I asked the vet to check if she was pregnant first, since she had been out for a few days. As it turns out, she was.. He then asked if the pregnancy was planned, and I said no, and he proceeded with the shots. He later told me that they generally do not vaccinate pregnant cats. Even though this is not a planned pregnancy, I am concerned about the health of the kittens. Sine my trip to the vet, I have read that pregnant cats should NEVER be vaccinated.. Should I be concerned?? My cat seems fine & she is getting very big. I expect her to give birth any day now, based on the time period during which she was out. If there may be an increased risk with delivery or something, I'd like to try to be here for her.. Could the vaccination have harmed her babies? She got the shots the 1st week of September, so she was already a good way into her pregnancy. (Estimated mating was 7/25-7/29).. I'm worried. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Carina
September 26th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Vaccines given to pregnant cats can cause birth defects, but that's relatively rare. I wouldn't worry - there's not much you can do now except give you mama cat the best prenatal care you can!

In all likelihood, mama & kittens will be just fine. :)

hollybug26
September 27th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks Carina. I feel better now. :)

hollybug26
September 28th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Update: My cat had her babies last night. One of them didn't make it, but the other two & momma are doing just fine.