Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's your favourite Christmas movie?

Shamrock
December 2nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Watching great old classic holiday films, new releases or even the various tv specials really help to get in the Christmas spirit, part of the tradtion.

I love the original Christmas Carol, and the one about the boy who wants a bb gun - that I always forget the name of.;) .

Roxy's_MA
December 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Mine is definatly National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It doesn't seem like the season if I don't watch this movie.

oh, and Scrooged

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Mine is definatly National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It doesn't seem like the season if I don't watch this movie.

I have to watch it at least a few times or it isn't Christmas. That and the Grinch (the original), and Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer, with Burl Ives. I always miss A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I have the soundtrack, so I make up the rest in my head.:D

In that movie, they play a bit of "It's a Wonderful Life" and I tried so hard to watch it when I was younger and never could, but last year I sat through the whole thing and it really is a good movie. It's sort of like the Family Man with Nicolas Cage, only the opposite (in Family Man, he is rich and lonely and gets a glimpse of his life with family and in It's a wonderful Life, he has family and he gets a glimpse of life without it). Both are really good at pointing out what is important in life.

I think I'll probably be seeing Christmas with the Kranks again too...

Roxy's_MA
December 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I noticed Christmas with the Kranks is on Movie Central on christmas day. I was planning on seeing it then.

Another one that I forgot is ...... oh I can't think of the name. It has Dennis Leary and he stars as a guy robbing a family in a hostage type situation. I alway found it really funny.

I'll come back when I remember the name and let all ya know.

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Was it The Ref?

Roxy's_MA
December 2nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yes! that is the one.

raingirl
December 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
A christmas story. You know...the leg lamp and the bb gun. reminds me of my childhood.

jessi76
December 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
so many, but I think "A Christmas Story" is my favorite. Elf and The Grinch (Dr. Suess version) are on my list of favorites too.

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
The Santa Clause too! I forgot about that. I haven't seen the second one though.

For those of you with low budget tv, The Santa Clause is playing on CBC Dec 11 at 8PM. (Dec 12th they're playing Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too at 7PM and at 8PM they're playing the Grinch, Frosty the snowman, and The legend of Frosty the snowman... I was looking for Charlie Brown Christmas but it only plays on channels I don't get... :()

papillonmama
December 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Charlie Brown Christmas my original fave.

Rick C
December 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas . . . . .

Not a Christmas movie but one I haul out every year and watch over a couple of snow-bound days is Dr. Zhivago. . . . .

Groundhog Day is pretty good.

The original Christmas Carol is a great film.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
December 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Didn't we do this last year? lol It would be interesting to see if we all give the same movies. Mine is It's A Wonderful Life but I like the ver with Marlo Thomass *(very hard to find) tho like George Bailey too. (She was Mary Bailey). I also like Miracle on 34th Street and the Bells of St. Mary's - have all 3 as movies so that says alot, lol

joeysmama
December 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Oh I havent seen The Bells of St. Mary's in years ! I'm in the mood to see that.

We have a bunch of Christmas movies that we HAVE TO watch during the season--each one at least once.

A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out !!!)
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol (my all time favorite is the George C. Scott version, hubby likes alistair sims)
Merry Christmas Mr. Bean (not really a whole movie--just the Christmas episod)
The Bishop's Wife

I really like Family Man too, and Miracle on 34th Street.

I just love all things Christmas !!!

joeysmama
December 5th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Oh I have to add that I can't watch Charile Brown without getting choked up at Linus's speech. And I can't pass a Christmas tree stand without saying, "I shuggest we try those shearch lights Charlie Brown."

Prin, I have the soundtrack too. Isn't it so pretty sometimes to just listen to? It's the first one I put in every year. Do you have the Vince Guaraldi version? I'm dating myself with that. You probably are not older than dirt (like I am) so you have a newer one. :)

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Yes, I have the Vince Gueraldi one. Is there any other? I love it. That and my Dean Martin Christmas cd.

Hey, FYI Charlie Brown is playing on ABC tomorrow night.:highfive:

gdamadg
December 6th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I have to agree with National Lampoons Christmas Vacation as well. But I have a new "favourite", Elf, I have watched it about 3 times already this year. Will Farrel cracks me up.

shannonRN
December 8th, 2005, 10:53 PM
"Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised." Hands down, best christmas movie ever.

Elf is also growing on me. The first time I saw it, I just didn't 'get' it. But now there are parts that have me in hysterics. I love listening to Zoey Dechanel or whatever her name is sing.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
LOL Shannon!
"My tree! Look what you've done to my tree! Lewis! Lewis?"

"We needed a coffin- uh- a tree and there are no lots open on Christmas eve.."

catsnatcher-CDN
December 9th, 2005, 06:22 AM
"Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised." Hands down, best christmas movie ever.

Elf is also growing on me. The first time I saw it, I just didn't 'get' it. But now there are parts that have me in hysterics. I love listening to Zoey Dechanel or whatever her name is sing.

I didn't think I'l like ELF but it's really very funny. My favorite part is when he starts to accuses the Santa in the store as being an imposter. IT's hilarious.

The christmas decoration is amazing in that movie too. Don't try it in your own home though. After several hours of preparing paper cut outs, you'll realize it doesn't look as good as it does on t.v.

doggy lover
December 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I like all christmas movies, but the Badder Santa really makes me laugh.

Gazoo
December 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I noticed Christmas with the Kranks is on Movie Central on christmas day. .

That movie is based on a short novel (almost novella) by John Grisham called "Missing Christmas"

The movie really misses on interpretting the themes in the novel!!

Read the book first...its great fun!! :thumbs up

shannonRN
December 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Paper cutouts....argh. More like paper cuts. I love how they look, but I don't really know how to do them nicely. It seems like whenever I've gotten one that's almost nice, I chop too much off somewhere or cut through a divider and it ruins the whole thing.

God, how did I forget Bad Santa? (I recently bought Badder Santa on DVD and I really liked the only slightly less offensive Bad Santa much better.) My favorite scenes from that movie are the ones with John RItter (RIP) in Bernie Mac's office. Hysterical.

Roxy's_MA
December 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM
That movie is based on a short novel (almost novella) by John Grisham called "Missing Christmas" by John Grisham.

The movie really misses on interpretting the themes in the novel!!

Read the book first...its great fun!! :thumbs up

I think I will read it. I have read a few John Grisham books, and to my suprise really enjoyed them.

Gazoo
December 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I think I will read it. I have read a few John Grisham books, and to my suprise really enjoyed them.

Me too...junk food for the brain is important in a good balance!!!

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know that Sunday the 18th, Rudolf the red-nosed Reindeer (with Burl Ives) is playing on CBC at 7PM, followed by National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (again, I think it's the 4th time so far...).;)

meb999
December 17th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Definetly National Lampoons Christmas Vacation -- I could watch it 10 times in a row and still laugh my head off!!
I also like The Grinch (the new one with Jim Carrey :o ) Jim Carrey cracks me up!!

momto2
March 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM
It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite. It really makes you think. On the comedy side we love Christmas Vacation.

jesse's mommy
March 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Since I missed this thread during my move, I'll add my list (in no particular order):

Home for the Holidays (Holly Hunter)
It's a Wonderful Life (Every Christmas Eve)
Charlie Brown Christmas (I own and entire Peanuts DVD set -- like 50 DVD's)
Christmas Vacation
Bad Santa
Elf
Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas (The Harmonica)

mastifflover
March 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Me too
Its a Wonderful Life and the original Scrooge

jesse's mommy
March 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I forgot Scrooged!!!! Love that movie!

LianneCatherine
March 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Definitely "It's a Wonderful Life" - I am such a sap, cry every time!!

ZebbyZeb
April 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
The Bishop's Wife
Prancer
Holiday Inn

PEDPA
June 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'm all about the classic cartoons ..... the claymation rudolf with the abominable snowman and the silver and gold dude ... and ummm the Frosty movie .... (old cartoon) and the grinch of course! Love those little whos in who town !!!!!