Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

glaucoma?

amber416
December 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Does anybody have any experience with glaucoma in dogs? I took one of our family dogs, Abby (bichon frise), to the vet yesterday for my mom, who was working, because her eye had suddenly gotten red and started to swell. We found out she had glaucoma and that her eye could possibly burst :eek: if the medicine didn't get the swelling to go down by Saturday. At that point, if the swelling has gone down (if not, the surgery obviously has to be done) my parents will be faced with the decision of whether or not to remove the eye.

The doctor thinks the vision is completely gone in that eye, but not positive. My mom is having a hard time deciding if keeping her on drops for the rest of her life just to save the eye from being removed is worth it, if there's no vision in that eye anyway. Vet said it's difficult to know if Abby is feeling any pain once the glaucoma is being "managed", but we would not want her to suffer at all just to keep a useless eye. Unless, of course, there was some other benefit to keeping the eye or risk in taking it out. My parents are meeting with the vet again early next week, but I guess i was just looking for a little more info/insight until then, for my own peace of mind. Anyone have any simillar experience?

the gang
December 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
i have a rescue min pin that lost her eye 1yr ago oct, to a fatty mass, they do just fine, takes some time for them but with the loving family help all will be fine, good luck brenda.:fingerscr

SnowDancer
December 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
This sounds like primary glaucoma rather than secondary - happened with our kitty. One day fine, then I noticed a little bit of running of eye - so off we went to vet. Within 12 hours we were told cornea had broken and that eye would either burst and be removed that way or surgery would be required to remove the eye. Also would have to be on 5 types of meds - and could not go near our dog - who plays doctor. Then, the glaucoma spread to the other eye while this was going on. Same story. Maybe check with your vet to determine if glaucoma is spreading to other eye. I know how fast this happened because kitty who had greyish/green eyes used to sit on my computer monitor to stare me down which is why I noticed slight running immediately. I hope your pup will be okay and that if eye does have to be removed that other eye will be fine. I am sure she will manage okay in such circumstances - and be able to play with other pets.

amber416
December 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies! Abby will be going in for her eye removal surgery on Thursday, assuming she checks out today okay (the vet needs to make sure she is healthy enough to go through with the surgery, seeing as how she's fairly old). Then we take her in to get the pressure checked in her other eye :fingerscr . I'm sure she will manage okay as a one eyed dog, but I don't know what we'll do if the other eye goes, too...

jawert1
December 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
This will sound crass but it's not meant to be, you'll need to not move the furniture about. Something to think about too would be starting now with creating a "scent" trail through the house for her usual routine just in case. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed that she comes through surgery ok :)