Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's playing/peeing in plant!! HELP!

laurie
September 25th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Hi there - im hoping someone can help me out!! We've recently repotted one of our large plants - and our two cats seem to be playing in it - or using it for a litterbox!! I dug around in the dirt, but didn't find any droppings. But there is cat hair all over the stem of the plant, as well as dirt all over the place outside of the plant. How can I stop them from doing whatever they are doing in the plant???

Please Help!!

:confused:

Thanks!!
Laurie

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2003, 07:30 PM
There are a couple things you can do. Place crumpled tin foil all around the base of the plant, or you can put sharp stones on the soil. Cats dislike both!

You can also buy a repellant, which has a citrus smell to spray on the soil, or you can get two-sided tape, and stretch it across the top of the pot- cats hate anything sticking to their paws!

All these methods are humane, but will usually discourage cats from getting into plants.

You might also want to consider planting some grass seed in another pot, so your cats can have their own potted plant, and they will enjoy this alot!

laurie
September 25th, 2003, 07:50 PM
thank you LuckyRescue! You've given me some great ideas.

I checked out your website and I wanted to tell you what a great job you are doing! The world needs more people like you in it!!

Laurie

Carina
September 25th, 2003, 07:54 PM
The following method has worked like a CHARM for me:

Buy cheap water pistol. Wait until cat has made contact with plant. Blast cat with water. :D

OK - it startles the heck out of them and they become a wet furry projectile flying away from the plant. But I've only had to do it a couple of times and the cats didn't make a connection with me, all they knew was, get in plant = get hit with icky squirt of water from the heavens.

But if you're OK with the notion of scaring your cat to a good end, this wortks real well!

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Thank you Laurie - I appreciate the kind words.:)

TomCat
November 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Our one cat dog this sometimes too. What happens if the cat likes water and doesn't care about getting squirted.

Carina
November 7th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by TomCat
Our one cat dog this sometimes too. What happens if the cat likes water and doesn't care about getting squirted.

Maybe a real loud, sudden noise?
Or use one of Lucky's suggestions. :)

Luba
November 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM
What if you just put some mesh at the base to cover the soil, I'm sure they wouldn't want to get their paws / claws stuck in it.