Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sexuality in Puppy

TheWhitePhoenix
December 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi Everyone! I have a question and hope someone can shed some light on this. Mushu is my first dog and only 6 months...well he hit puberty and surprised me today with something that how should I say rose to greet me. The funny thing is it surprised him too...poor little guy was walking with his tail between his legs and seemed confused...I kept telling him its ok and he's a good boy and gave him some treats....but this being his first erection I just want to know what to expect or do. I'm bringing him to the vets on Monday and going to set up an appointment to have him neutered but I just want to make this as easy on him as possible. I understand the physical aspect of the hormones etc but not the emotional....he's so sweet and such a good dog I just want the best for him...so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I even tried to distract him with playtime but he is constantly distracted..Thanks

Prin
December 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
Neutering won't totally stop the erections. I just wouldn't draw attention to them, they're not a big deal. 99% of the time (in my experience), the lipstick comes out just because the doggy is surprised in some way or extremely happy...No biggie.

TheWhitePhoenix
December 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hi...thanks for the response....I know I'm over blowing the situation...and I baby him alittle too much..but he is my little guy. I can't help it.

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 12:15 AM
Better to be over-concerned than under...:thumbs up

angie79
December 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
cooper was fixed at 4 months....

gets major cases of the humpies as we like to call it and he still gets happy..

wish he could understand he doesn't have top love us that much all the time

technodoll
December 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
humping often has nothing to do with sex, specially if the dog is neutered at a very yound age.... it has to do with dominance, insecurity, and sometimes play. your little pupster, by humping you & members of the family, other dogs, etc is establishing his rank on the totem pole. better to nip this in the bud before it becomes a real problem as he gets older. Sounds like he needs a bit o' boot camp lovin'!

Nothing In Life Is Free is a GREAT starter: http://www.sspca.org/Dogs_TANSTAAFL.html

about humping and dominance:
http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-behaviour/mounting-dog.shtml

good luck! :highfive:

SchnauzerGirl
December 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Before I had my puppy neutered at six months, he also let it all hang out and was quite distracted. I ignored it cos he wasn't humping anything or anyone and it would go away quite quickly. I found that he would only let it all show when he was happy and relaxed. After I had him neutered, there hasn't been any "reappearances." :)

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I agree with technodoll. Humping is usually dominance and sometimes (I've heard, but I haven't seen yet) it can be because of excitement. A lot of the time that doggies hump their owners, it happens at moments where the owners are in a subordinate position to the doggy. I've seen sooo many doggies hump other doggies when a younger or smaller one stands up to them. It's like a proof that they can do it, and when you don't stand up for yourself, you validate them.