Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Watch out dog owners. Its not just PIT related

pitbulliest
December 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
Hey guys...just found out that Animal Control is about to get pretty serious about pet registration.... looks like they're not only targetting pit owners anymore but going for the entire pet owner population.

Anyone that doesn't register their dog or cat..regardless if its indoor or outdoor cat, if your dog stays at home all day, if you live under a rock..doesn't matter...if its not registered, they're fining you for 255 bux...

And from what I've heard, they're going to start checking...in Calgary, they used to check up on pet owners and ask for registration papers...I don't know if they do that anymore...but it might just start here too to some extent...

*sigh*...its starting to look alot like an Ontario hates animals Christmas...

babyrocky1
December 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM
Yes, Ive heard that this is already happening, but also they seem to be staking out a few parks at a time looking for dogs off leash!

pitbulliest
December 1st, 2005, 07:29 PM
Yes, and in the meantime...puppies are being euthed and kids are getting shot in back alleys..

Way ta go OntariNOOOOO

BMDLuver
December 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM
ummmm, please don't take this the wrong way but I see nothing wrong with fining someone for not having their dog registered. It would sure make it a heck of a lot easier to find the owner of a pet instead of having them end up in already overcrowded shelters but thats JMHO.

gdamadg
December 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM
I have to agree with BMDLuver. And we should all agree, that it is better that they use their resources to enforce good laws instead of starting a "witch hunt" for Pit owners.

babyrocky1
December 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
ummmm, please don't take this the wrong way but I see nothing wrong with fining someone for not having their dog registered. It would sure make it a heck of a lot easier to find the owner of a pet instead of having them end up in already overcrowded shelters but thats JMHO. I wasn't complaining about it just thought the heads up would be appreciated:) When you consider that less than one percent of the dogs in the GTA are liscenced and that the "culture" of dog ownership here is that people think its semi LEGAL to walk thier dog off leash, alot of people will be in for a big shock if they really do enforce these things! As pitbulliest and I were walking our muzzled leashed pits last night we came across unleashed dogs and its really un-nerving for us, especially in the dark when its hard to read body language, so theres no complaints about it from me!

twodogsandacat
December 1st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Calgary is the model for dog safety. It is a great place for a licensed well-behaved dog and a bad place for an unlicensed not so well behaved dog. There are over eighty dog parks and they resist BSL. How do they do all these things? They have over 90% license compliance and that pays for them to go out and take care of dogs that are issues.

It’s also the city that Dack mentioned fifty times in his presentation to change the Winnipeg dog bylaws a few years ago, a move that FINALLY gave some improvement in dog safety. They are still a long way of from being the wonder city Bryant would have you believe that they are but it’s what finally got their numbers on the downward spiral. Something Bryant will become aware of in court where real numbers are considered evidence not just him repeating a lie over and over again.

I say good for TO.
:thumbs up

babyrocky1
December 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Apparantly Toronto has opted for these kinds of measures instead of BSL but there process has been rather opaque to say the least. If it stays with this kind of focus then Im fine with it, but Ive been trying to get straight answers from the city for so long its ridiculous. The last I heard pretty much everything was possible except BSL, But there was also a contingency who wanted to target large breed dogs. Million dollar insurance rates were definately on the table but I think that with the precident that Londoners set YEAH LONDONERS:highfive: and what the devil himself said on Legal briefs its probably not going to happen. We will have to keep an eye on the next municipal election as well though. BSL is tempting for sleezy, low life, do nothing, politcial weazles , looking for a scape goat....As we are all well aware.:D

pitbulliest
December 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
wait a second. How does it help identify pets if someone finds a dog without a collar on? Its not like the identification number is on the dog's forehead..how does registering the animals help?

I definately agree with the Calgary model..but do you honestly expect the same thing to happen in Toronto where the population is five times or six times as big as Calgary's? Its not very realistic...but I guess you guys are right...it would probably make things more effective..but then again, maybe Calgary just kicks royal azz?...man I miss that place :( Time to move back I think

gdamadg
December 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM
maybe Calgary just kicks royal azz?...man I miss that place Time to move back I think

You and me both. All I need now, is out of the army and to convince my gf, lol.

Saradog
December 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM
So long as Toronto Animal Control is targeting all dogs that are not registered, I have no problem with that. My dogs AND cats are all registered/licensed with the City, and get a free ride home if they get out. Registration of your animal is a requirement under the Municipal Code.

I believe they check for a microchip if the animal isn't wearing a collar.

There's a lot of dispute right now about a proposed increase in animal licensing fees. I would like to see them drop the charge to seniors for animal licensing, and I have no problem with paying a slightly increased fee to license my animals provided it is non-breed specific. The licensing monies do go to Animal Control.

Now, if only they'd charge some of the offleash walkers in my local (leash required) parks, the ones with the badly-behaved or aggressive dogs that don't come when they're called.

Saradog
December 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Including the freakin' Jack Russell who charges all the dogs and has put my pbt and other dogs on the run....some dog is going to eat that JRT one day and the owner will be whining, when he's let his dog be aggressive verging on vicious.

Beetlecat
December 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
wait a second. How does it help identify pets if someone finds a dog without a collar on? Its not like the identification number is on the dog's forehead..how does registering the animals help?

I don't know about Toronto, but here the requirement is that the dog is registered and has a collar with its city tag on at all times. My dog also has a tattoo and a seperate collar tag with my name and phone number.

Unless it could be tracked some other way, a dog with no collar would go to the humane society as a stray.

LM1313
December 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I don't see anything wrong with enforcing licensing laws, as long as the money for the licenses and fines goes towards animal services . . . Here (Spokane, WA) we have to license both dogs and cats.

People aren't required to make the animals wear the tag, but when the yearly tag arrives in the mail, most people but it on their dog because it takes two seconds. Many times I've found stray dogs with no identification on their collars except their license tag.

~LM~

pitbulliest
December 5th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I don't know about Toronto, but here the requirement is that the dog is registered and has a collar with its city tag on at all times. My dog also has a tattoo and a seperate collar tag with my name and phone number.

Unless it could be tracked some other way, a dog with no collar would go to the humane society as a stray.

That's exactly why I find it useless...I could microchip my dog or put a regular tag with my address and phone number one it and it'll work the same way.... I'm basically paying animal control to put down pitbulls and pitbull puppies....nice service...bah humbug... :mad:
And personally, I don't know alot of people that put collars and big TAS tags on their cats....

I still think its a scam to get money out of pet owners...if TAS actually provided the services they promise on their website, I would be a little less negative about their money grabbing plans.... but I just feel like this whole pitbull ban has led the way for the government to start implementing all these pet ownership rules to grab more cash....why not create tougher animal cruelty legislation..I'd sure as heck put my money into that in a second...:P but then again, our legislation hasn't been changed in the past 100 years or so...*sigh*...oh gawd...I need to sit down..

Skye's mommy
December 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
That's exactly why I find it useless...I could microchip my dog or put a regular tag with my address and phone number one it and it'll work the same way.... I'm basically paying animal control to put down pitbulls and pitbull puppies....nice service...bah humbug... :mad:
And personally, I don't know alot of people that put collars and big TAS tags on their cats....

I still think its a scam to get money out of pet owners...if TAS actually provided the services they promise on their website, I would be a little less negative about their money grabbing plans.... but I just feel like this whole pitbull ban has led the way for the government to start implementing all these pet ownership rules to grab more cash....why not create tougher animal cruelty legislation..I'd sure as heck put my money into that in a second...:P but then again, our legislation hasn't been changed in the past 100 years or so...*sigh*...oh gawd...I need to sit down..

I agree...In Ottawa it is a LIFETIME registration. We used to have to renew every year, but a few years ago they stopped doing that and now once you are registered it is for LIFE. My kinda registration