Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does my cat keep scratching itself?

mandy1808
December 1st, 2005, 12:22 AM
Hi there.. i have recently acquired a 12 year old neutered short-haired cat from a friend. The cat has been to the vet for a check up and i have dewormed and de-flead him (using vetinary frontline). However, although he now has NO FLEAS for the past 2 months (since treatment) he still constantly scratches his neck. When i feel his neck I can detect small scabs. I read somewhere Im sure that they can get into a habit of scratching. other than this he is fit and well (he is now an indoor cat as i live in a flat). he seems very happy and content in himself.. any ideas what could be wrong or what i could do. he eats whiskas... ROGUE STOP SCRATCHING!!!:pawprint:

Prin
December 1st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Have you asked the vet recently about this?

mandy1808
December 1st, 2005, 12:35 AM
he thought it was just settling down after the fleas. (visited vets as he was off his food but antibiotics got him up and munching again). im taking him in tomorrow to have his teeth cleaned so i will ask again. ive been searching the net and other ideas could be that he may be allergic to something, or maybe WAS allergic to the flea bites.. that caused him to itch and damage the skin which caused him to scratch more and so it goes on. it suggested anti-histamines but said they arent always effective.... so i thought id try here to see if anyone had any other ideas...