Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My doggie needs your help!!

xavierarmadillo
November 30th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I have a 2 year old Black lab / Boxer mix and shes been kind grumpy lately. Just seems bored so I get her treats and toys and that seems to cheer her up. She sleeps a lot though.

The problem is she schooches her butt on the carpet a lot and licks like shes digging for gold. I tell her no and she stops until later on then she does it again. I have taken her for getting her glads drained, and the vet said she was fine, glands weren't full nor worms....

So this has been going on for a year but I can't seem to figure it out. If she had worms I'd think my other doggie would be doing the same thing, but he doesn't do what she does.

I did put creme back there for a bit and that might have helped, not sure. She itches her legs a lot too... She doesn't roam outside and is in doors most of the time.

Oh yeh she likes laying with shoes... or socks... or anything like its a puppy... But she can't have pups.

Prin
December 1st, 2005, 01:10 AM
My vet recently told me that an itchy hiney when anal glands aren't full and there are no parasites can be from allergies. Jemma started to scoot and was really itchy this year during ragweed season. She usually only gets itchy feet from ragweed, but it looks like it's moving around. (And then she scoots ON the ragweed...:eek: )

I'd try an elimination diet and then I'd look at environmental allergies if that didn't work.

maddoxies
December 1st, 2005, 09:29 AM
Allergies were my first thought too.

Don't change too many things at once, or you won't know what is triggering her itches and what isn't.

Since it is mainly her butt and legs, I would start with environment first. Cleaners, etc that you use. Vinegar and water is a good basic cleaner for floors, counters, etc and is very unlikely to cause a reaction.

Good luck