Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Senior Cat - long post

Copper'sMom
November 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I'm taking my senior cat - Mookie to the vet tomorrow. Mookie is 20 years old!! We got her when I was just a wee girl of 8 years old. She has had personality changes all of her life but this time, it's freaking me out. As of yesterday, she has wanted to hang out in the bathroom behind the toilet after she had some sort of episode.
I was outside yesterday putting up xmas decorations when I heard an awful scream. It sounded like a cat fight, but there was only one cat involved - Mookie. She was trying to scratch and bite her back. I thought she was having a major spasm - I still don't know what it was. It happened as quickly as it stopped. I checked her over and couldn't find anything wrong. She seems completely normal in every way except she just wants to stay behind the toilet now.

I am just worried that at her age, the vet will find something wrong and then I have to face what will come. I am glad to know that her possible last year on earth has made her happy again. Which brings me to tell you a little about her background.

When we first got Mookie, she was so cuddly. She was going to be killed by my cousin who owned her at the time. She was a gift to him from his then g/f. They split up and he didn't want the cat, so he was going to shoot it.:mad: I begged and pleaded with my mom to take her home. She said yes so we brought her home. She then became anti-social - probably due to me because I liked to maul her all of the time with hugs and kisses. She would only let my mom pet her. Years passed and she became nothing more than a couch pillow. No one could pet her - unless she came to you, but don't over do it! LOL She'd hiss and swipe when she'd had enough. All of the other cats feared her and so did my Copper!!
About a year ago, my mom and her hubby were going to have her pts because they thought she was eliminating outside of the litterbox and my mom's hubby wouldn't put up with a "dirty" cat.:mad: So I took her in to live with us. And wow, what a personality change!! She became social again. I couldn't believe it when she would crawl in my lap and one night crawled in bed!! She had never done that before!! She no longer swiped at the dogs when they would walk by but she will put Zoe in her place when she gets out of hand.:p She started hanging out in the bathtub again - she used to do this when she was young - just hang out after someone has showered. She just overall seems happy again. And now that she's happy, I have to worry about how much longer she'll be with us.

Even though she hasn't lived with me all of her life, I have always made it a point to visit her when I stopped by Mom's and always gave her a kiss and told her I loved her because I knew she was aging and her time could expire at anytime. But now that she lives with me and has started to love me again, this is making it so much harder to deal with.

I've already come to the conclusion, if the vet finds a terminal illness, I will not try to prolong her life as I don't want her to suffer. I just hope, I'm making the right decision.

Luvmypit
November 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Lots of history between you too so I can see how you would feel worried about the vet considering her age.
I think you should just go to the vet with an open mind as she could have just spooked herself somehow rather then have an illness. Wait for the results and make the decision from there. No matter you love her and what ever your decision you know you will make it with her best interests in mind and that is all that matters.

I hope the best for her and you and know that we are here to support whatever decision you make.

Prin
November 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's hard to watch them change and get older and even harder to decide for them. Whatever you do, you know you will try to do your best for this kitty, and if I was a kitty, I would want nothing more. :grouphug:

cpietra16
November 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I hope it is nothing too serious. Mookie sounds like a fighter. Good Luck.

Copper'sMom
November 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Oh gosh Thank you so much!!!:grouphug: Your support means so much to me right now, you have no idea. I really thought I'd be ok with this as we had a senior dog that we also had pts due to her health and old age. She was 12 which was a good age for her. And I knew it was coming for so long, and when it happened I handled it so well. I just knew it was her time. I don't know if maybe because I wasn't living with her and my mom maybe that's why I handled it better??? I did meet my mom at the vets that day to be there with her and Elisha when she was pts. It's really odd, because I barely shed a tear and I usually cry like a baby when I lose a pet.

My mom is coming with me to the vet tomorrow for Mookie. I can't do this alone..............

chico2
November 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Aww Coppersmom,I hope you are worrying for nothing,it might just be her age,like me,I do strange things at times:p
At 20yrs old,she is probably losing it a little,but if she is in pain and suffering you'll do the right thing for her,as hard as it is and we all will support you and Mookie all the way.:love:

SnowDancer
November 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I really your kitty is okay. But my favourite little kitty of all time also lived to be 20. She was her usual self one day - a real Jezebel - and the next day her body started to shut down. Very fast, so we had no choice but to have her put to sleep. Don't want to scare you, but be prepared. Our Beagle went the same way - fast - also just shy of 20.

SarahLynn123
November 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM
My cat had an episode much like that. He is only 4 but he started to freak out and was screaming and jumped in the bathroom garbage can and started digging, still crying. ( I called the vet immediatly) He soon settled down and scooted across the floor like a dog!

I took him in and the vet empties his anal glands for him and found that they were not able to empty becasue of what looked like a clump of hair. She gave us a laxitive and he hasn't had the screaming thing again, has scooted twice though.

I wonder if your cat has something similar and it just so happened that it didn't hurt anymore when she was sitting behind the toilet, so she associated behind the toilet with no more pain?

Just an idea, hope its nothing serious

Take care
Sarah

Lucky Rescue
November 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Thank you for taking this girl and giving her a loving home for her twilight years.

I have no idea what the backbiting is all about, but senior cats can suffer from dementia.

When my Monstrose was near 20, he began eating his dinner then running immediately into a closet and faced the wall, where he howled his head off! The vet could find nothing physically wrong with him.

Please let us know what the vet says! Good luck!

Copper'sMom
December 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks again everyone.:grouphug: She seemed to be back to herself again last night. No more hiding behind the toilet. She sat on my lap for about 45 mins last night!! I think that's a record!!! lol

When I called the vet yesterday to make her appointment, I found out that she has not seen a vet since 1998!!!!:mad: Mookie is still under my Mom's name at the vets and I just can't believe she hasn't been to the vets in 7 years!

I was going to cancel the appointment because she's acting normal now, but I should take her anyway to have her checked out. I'm still just worried they will find something wrong with her just because of her old age and when you get old, things don't function like they used to. But I guess I'll wait till later today, to find out for sure.

Maybe I over reacted the other day??:o I don't know - but I don't want her to suffer in anyway. I always figured she would pass on in her sleep and I hope this is how it will be when it is her time.:fingerscr

Lucky Rescue
December 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM
I think you should take her anyway. Not finding out what (if anything) is wrong won't make it go away and if there is something minor that might get worse, you'll be glad you took her!:) At the very least, she needs to have her teeth checked.

I always figured she would pass on in her sleep and I hope this is how it will be when it is her time

Yes, we all hope that. I've never had it happen to any of my seniors, only to my 2 yr old Stinky.:(

chico2
December 1st, 2005, 04:10 PM
With my 3 previous cats,Sammy,Cookie and Peppi who in later years were all sick,I too had hoped they would just fall asleep and not wake up.
But like with people,it usually does not happen that way....I remember taking things one day at the time,until one day the cat just gave up on food and living period and then it was time to go,all stricken with cancer:sad:
I am glad you are still taking Mookie and I agree with Lucky,bad teeth can cause all kinds of problems and pain in an older cat and she needs to have her teeth checked.
Anyways,I am happy for you and Mookie and we all worry for any changes in our cats insignificant or not,always better safe than sorry:grouphug:

Copper'sMom
December 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Well we went to the vet this aft. So far so good. I won't find out the results of the blood test until tomorrow because I missed her phone call when I went to the grocery store! :(
Lucky, Chico - you 2 were very right about having the teeth checked. mookie is missing a molar(no biggie) but she does have some root showing on another tooth. Everything is fine for now, it's just a little sensitive. We talked about surgery which I will definitely do pending the outcome of the blood tests(pre-anesethic test). She told me I could wait 6-12 months but that's just rediculous, I'll do it much sooner.
She did find a heart murmur - which happens with old age. I knew right away when she asked if Mookie coughs or pants(all the while listening to her heart). So we did discuss the surgery and she told me many senior pets with murmurs make it out fine - but I'm still really scared about this.

As for how she acted the other day, the vet thinks possibly she could have had a muscle spasm. She checked her spine and Mookie had no reaction(no painful spots). She felt her all over - no lumps or bumps or tender areas.:thumbs up So now, just the blood work results are needed. I'll be calling them first thing in the morning. So now, just a little more worrying.:o

jawert1
December 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
We're all praying for you and glad the preliminary workup shows she's ok :)

chico2
December 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Coppersmom,My Peppi had a fang removed at 16yrs old,unlike your Mookie,he was also diabetic.But we had no other choice than to remove the tooth,the anasthezia was dangerous,but the infection caused him a lot of pain and would probably have killed him eventually.
Luckily he pulled through and lived 2 more years.
Good luck with Mookie:love:

Copper'sMom
December 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
I talked to the vet this morning. The blood work showed some kidney problems-nothing major as of yet. Everything else was great!:thumbs up She will be on a different diet and on a pill that will help with blood flow so it will help with her heart and her kidneys. We will have her kidneys checked again in about a month to see if things improve. She had talked about dyalisis in the future if things don't improve. I told her if Mookie's condition get worse, I will have her pts as I don't want to prolong her life just for me. I don't want her to be in any pain.

I knew they would find something. What can you expect at her age?? The main thing is we found out sooner than later. So, I'll no more in a month's time!:fingerscr

We forgot to discuss the dental surgery. I'm waiting for her to call back to tell me whether it's okay to proceed with that - although it really makes me nervous with the anesthetic and all.

Thank you all so much for your support!!!:grouphug: Her little episode really scared me and I am so glad I took her in and had her checked out anyway. Even though I talk about my dogs mostly on this site, I still love my kitties just as much as I do my dogs. Oh and here is a pic of my Mookie with Copper:love: She looks big, but it's just her fur!!:p

papillonmama
December 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Mookie looks great for a twenty year old kitty. A chilhood friend of mine had a 20 YO cat and did not look half as good as yours does. The poor thing was hobbling from her arthritis, but Mookie looks awesome! :thumbs up

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Yey! I'm glad it's nothing serious so far...:grouphug:

Copper'sMom
December 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Mookie looks great for a twenty year old kitty. A chilhood friend of mine had a 20 YO cat and did not look half as good as yours does. The poor thing was hobbling from her arthritis, but Mookie looks awesome! :thumbs up

Thank you! She does look really good for her age! A lady I used to house sit for had 2 senior cats- they lived to be 22 -23 years old!! I remember the one cat looked so sickly and skinny it was sad. But yes, my Mookie does look good for her age and so do I!!!!! lol

Shamrock
December 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
Aww, Mookie is a lovely cat, Copper's Mom, and I am so glad to hear that so far, nothing too serious has shown up.
Seniors do get ailments, but many are manageable.
My best wishes to Mookie, may your sweet girl enjoy her golden years to the fullest.

chico2
December 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Coppersmom,I am soo glad beautiful Mookie is ok:thumbs up As for her teeth ,if they are not bothering her,not infected,maybe you can avoid the stress of the surgery to remove the root.

Snooky'sMom
December 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Mookie is doing really well to have reached 20 with no serious problems! It sounds like you are on the right track with her and I hope you get to enjoy her for more years. I have one suggestion about her teeth. If you do decide to get the tooth surgery, afterwards, it might be a good idea to periodically clean her teeth with a gauze cloth. That's what I did for my senior kitty and and I used something called ProVseal on his teeth that helped stop tartar buildup.

Copper'sMom
December 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks again all!! I spoke to the vet again and we will wait on dental surgery. We have to see if there is any improvement with her kidneys before we anesthetise her - as the kidneys would help in flushing out the anesthesia.
There is no infection now(knock on wood) and she eats well. I give her canned food(prescription) on a daily basis now and the kibble(also prescription) are really tiny and soft so it shouldn't hurt her teeth to much. She must feel like a :queen: eating canned food everyday now!! I'll post again in a month's time with her test results. Keep fingers and toes crossed she will improve!! She's one fiesty girl!!

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr I hope she gets better soon!:fingerscr :fingerscr

Copper'sMom
February 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
:sad: Well, Mookie was supposed to be back at the vet around the beginning of January to have her blood rechecked. We haven't been able to make it because I am working elsewhere for now and haven't been able to get an appointment that doesn't interfere with work. My mom was going to take her the one day, but Mookie hid from her and wouldn't come out so she didn't get to the vet.
I ran out of her pills she was on, but did pick up some more so it wouldn't change the next blood test. She had an appointment for this Saturday, but now she will be going tomorrow afternoon.

She hasn't been eating much the last week. She stopped eating her prescription food so I started giving her regular canned food. She ate a little, but then wouldn't touch that. I then bought Wellness canned food, she ate a little and then no more. I cooked her a chicken breast, minced it and she ate a good portion, but wouldn't touch it again. My mom had some Hill's a/d food - for very finicky or ill pets (smelly to make them eat) which she gave me and Mookie ate some yesterday but turned her nose up today again.

She hasn't been pooping and peeing as much either. Her fur is very unkept the last few days and when she sleeps, she's drooling alot as it is on her tail and her chest(long haired, sleeps curled in a ball). Her fur is stiff and hard in these areas. She staggered a little when she was walking today. When she was sitting she kind of swayed back and forth a little. She seems weak.:sad: She's been really vocal the last couple of nights - she's just not herself. She's hanging out behind the toilet again.

I think tomorrow she will go to the rainbow bridge. As much as I don't want her to go, I don't want her to suffer because of my selfishness. I don't want to let her go................I've lost a few pets within the last few years, I just don't want to lose anymore. It hurts so bad.:sad:

cpietra16
February 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Will you be getting her blood checked before any decision is made. It's so shocking. I have been following this tread and I ws sure she was a survivor. I am so sorry, it will be a difficult decision to make. I know I wouldn't want my baby to suffer either.

Copper'sMom
February 6th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Oh yes, I will get her blood checked. But I just have a feeling she hasn't improved she's just went from good to bad. Unless she's not eating because her tooth is bothering her, i don't know. I was really hoping to have the dental surgery so it is more comfortable for her to eat. When it comes to my pets, money is not an object - even when they are 20 years old and could only live a week after the procedure. She has surprised me so many times before, anything is possible now. I do worry so much, sometimes for nothing. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just hope she is not suffering. She won't even let me cuddle with her right now, she's just not feeling well.:sad: Such a strong cat all of her life, I hate seeing her so weak.

Copper'sMom
February 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
i definitly will have her blood checked. I can't spell today, i just can't think straight! She has surprised me in so many ways before, who knows she may again tomorrow. It's so hard seeing her so weak, she has always been such a strong cat. I don't think she has ever been sick in her life!!! No injuries either! I was hoping to have her dental surgery, to make eating more comfortable for her. She always loved to eat. I'll see how it goes tomorrow afternoon. I'll post in a day ot two on how we made out at the vet. Please say a prayer for my Mookie Poo.:angel: I always worry so much, most of tthe time for nothing. I just don't know what the outcome will be.

cpietra16
February 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I too, hope its just her tooth. Good luck. I hope everything turns out Ok for you and your Kitty.

chico2
February 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
CoppersMom,I think we all know,you'll do what is right for beautiful Mookie,we've all been there:sad:
:fingerscr for you and Mookie today:love:

Copper'sMom
February 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
:sad: My Mookie is now resting peacefully and will not suffer anymore.
She did have an infection in her mouth. We did the blood test for her kidneys and all the levels were very high. In December, it was only the potassium that was high. Now everything went up, some almost doubled(I can't remeber what was what). She started to fade really quick the last couple of weeks.
We discussed options to make Mookie comfortable, but I knew it was time for her to go. I didn't want to see her fade away anymore. I couldn't be there to hold her when she went. I was worried she would be really nasty while they were giving her the injection( she was nasty when they trimmed her nails while we waited for the blood results). It would have made it worse for me if she put up a fight. The vet told me she went quickly and quietly. I knew she was in caring arms while she went to sleep.

I feel calm about it all now. I know it was for the best, we had many years together. I'm just so happy that her last year was one of her best years. What a girl! She will be missed so very much.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It's good to communicate with people who understand how much our pets mean to us.

jesse's mommy
February 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your furbaby is playing at the Rainbow Bridge. Be happy for all the years you had together making each others lives better. R.I.P. Mookie. :angel:

Skryker
February 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know there is really nothing that anyone can say to make it better, but I hope it helps to know others feel for you. Mookie was a beautiful cat and was obviously well beloved. I'm so glad that you are at peace with your loving choice to ease her suffering. :grouphug:

joeysmama
February 8th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I am soo sorry for your loss ! I read this whole thread and I was looking at the picture of Mookie and Copper and thinking what a beautiful cat.

This really made me cry and brought back memories of when we lost Joey. It's just so hard isn't it?

Mookie was fortunate to have you.

Prin
February 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm so sorry Copper's Mom. I hope Copper is giving you as many hugs as you can possibly stand.:grouphug: :grouphug:

cpietra16
February 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I am sorry so for your loss. It's always so hard to let them go. This is the worst part of having a pet. At least The suffering is over for Mookie. Just believe that you guys will meet again.

jawert1
February 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry CoppersMom, you did the best by her and she had a wonderful life, take comfort in knowing she is resting now :angel: