Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dealing with Ice

Dukieboy
November 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
How do you deal safely with ice in the winter. Which products aren't harmfull to animals? I have to find something for my back steps because they ice up and the dogs run up and down them. Any suggestions???

Prin
November 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I just chip at it with a metal shovel...:o

Roxy's_MA
November 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I heard people use cat litter sprinkled on the ice. I am not sure if it melts it or just creates some traction.

jessi76
November 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM
we use sand. kitty litter does provide some traction, but doesn't melt anything.

Beaglemom
November 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Some pet stores carry de-icers which are pet friendly and environmentally friendly as well. I've never used them, I just chip away at the ice. Kitty litter or sand is also a good alternative. They don't melt the ice, just provide traction over the surface.

SnowDancer
November 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I have everything. The pet friendly product BeagleMom mentioned; de-icer that doesn't harm concrete - in white; de-icer in blue (don't like the blue but I use it on the front sidewalk and laneway); and kitty litter. I also chip away at ice. We get a lot of the ice and snow drifting from the neighbour's - the weird layout we have and since we live in such a litigious society better to be safe. I also have dog boots - fitted by a profession - but the little wuss refuses to wear them - you can hear the screams - of course he does love a nice foot rub. Was hoping that he would wear the boots, this being his second snow. Nope.

maddoxies
November 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cat litter does track in the house. I used inexpensive grass seed. It provides traction and does not track inside as much. Surprisingly, the seed grew in the spring (in the flower bed where we had stacked the shovelled snow)

Dukieboy
December 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I am going to try grass seed. Thanks.