Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What could have killed her?

BobbyandTommy
September 25th, 2003, 10:57 AM
I had a beautiful, long-haired, tortoise shell cat, her name was Minuette. We got her when she was about a year old from my aunt. Instantly she and my four year daughter became best friends. I brought Minuette to the vet to be spayed and my five year old cat, Bobby, to have his teeth cleaned. They had been eating Waltham cat food (just the regular stuff), a brand sold in the clinic and were fine with it. When they were in for surgery, I was told that Bobby was just slightly overweight and that it wouldn't hurt to put him on weight control (still Waltham). I asked "What about Minuette, will I have to feed them seperately?" and was told just to feed them both weight control formula. Shortly after Minuette began vomitting and had dirreah every so often. I didn't think much of it until I started seeing less and less of her. One day, I picked her up and realized how much trouble the poor girl was in. I pulled her fur up and it made no attempt to spring back in place, AT ALL! It stuck straight up. I could fell every bone in her body, honestly! I brought her to the vet where she received fluids, and had blood and urine tests done, everything came back fine! I began force feeding her and she was put on steroids, I watched her slowly die. The vets had no idea what was wrong with my beautiful cat. They said to take a few days to say goodbye, and then have her put down. Well, she died on her own, the same day I couldn't stand to watch her suffer anymore. But anyway, what I would like to know is; "Does anybody, besides me, beleive that Waltam weight control killed my cat?" Thank-you.

homer
September 25th, 2003, 02:06 PM
BobbyandTommy,

My deep condolences on your loss.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt the food killed her..

Far more likely is that she got sick from other unrelated problems OR something during the surgery (infection?)made her sick and killed her.

I can't be sure but I believe that I once read on this board that during an operation somewhere gauze or something was left inside a cat. I'm not saying that this is the case...BUT....

Only an autopsy will reveal the truth and it doesn't pay to do it unless you have the cash.

Also without any proof don't blame the vet or waltham.

I know this is a struggle but remember the good times...maybe write a pet tribute a form of closure. There are some beautiful tributes on this site.

Homer

BobbyandTommy
September 25th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Thank-you Homer for your reply. I do know however, that nothing was left inside her during surgery. I was present for both of my cats surgeries. I had just completed a co-op program with the clinic and they allowed me to observe my cats' surgeries. But your right, she may have had a medical problem that was not detected through the blood or urine tests.