Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

digestive system???

angie79
November 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I was wondering how long it takes to pass through a dogs digestive system??

mondaynight i was eating ribs while cutting the small end one fell on the floor... he swallowed before we could get it off him.. not knowing if and how big the bone was i've been watching him cafully since and ready to take him to the vet if he acts abnormal... i haven't seen anything (bone) pass..

wondering if he got bone would it of passed by now???

BernerLver
November 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I would take him to the vet just to be safe. If my understanging of the raw/BARF diet is correct, rib bones are not consider RMB meaning that a dog cannot "eat" and therefore digest that type of bone the same way he/she could consume a knuckle bone or chicken back/neck.

I ocasionally give Bailey knuckle bones and he can eat it bone and all because they are crushable. I believe a rib bone would be like a soup/marrow bone in that it is hard and cannot be crushed and therefore may not be easily digestable.

I always know when the bone has passed as his poops are white in colour and hard and crumbly.

Again, JMO but I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. If there is a problem it's better to catch it before you puppy begins to show some outward signs as that could mean bigger trouble.