Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

strange sleeping setter

lhealy
November 29th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Hello. I have a 5 month old English Setter that I recently adopted. She has some odd sleeping behaviors and I'm not sure if they are anything to be concerned about. Often when she is sleeping, she will make odd noises, then suddenly awake and her tongue will roll out of her mouth, her breathing will be labored, her eyes will be wide open, but she has a far-off look. After about a minute, she will gain awareness and she is never completely unresponsive.
When I was younger, I had a Cocker Spaniel with epilepsy. My setter's symptoms do not seem the same. She doesn't shake, lose control of her bowels or salivate.
Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Can you wake her up when this happens? If you can, it could just be bad nightmares and it might take her a minute to figure out where she is...

lhealy
November 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
thank you for replying. yes, i can wake her...at least i think. she just acts very "out of it" for a minute and her labored breathing scares me. she is also very limp when i wake her.
i hope that she just is a very sound sleeper and i'm being paranoid.

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I think it's worth checking out though. Have you talked about this to your vet?

I know my doggies both had very vivid nightmares when we first got them. Jemma used to wet her bed during her nightmares and Boo would wake up and start throwing up... So I know it can happen...

But if these are seizures, and the doggy isn't responsive when you try to wake her, she might need medication sooner than later. Good luck figuring this out.:)