Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin Tags?

Hunter's_owner
November 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Hi...

I was just wondering if skin tags are common on dogs?

I just found a bumpy thing on my 5 yr old Lab, and it looks like a skin tag, but I'm not sure. I am going to get the vet to check it out, but I'd like some feedback first.

Sometimes it seems that you can go a couple months away from the vet, and then all of a sudden many things happen at once...for example, two weeks ago: major chin itch that led to a possibility of skin allergies (since he also had the history of ear probs and paw licking), and then last week it was an emerg due to something he must have eaten (still not over that one!) and now it seems as though it will be another visit because of this...
it never ends.

Thanks everyone.

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 10:33 PM
What's a skin tag?

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I am quoting this from a website...

"What is a skin tag?

A skin tag is a common, benign condition which consists of a bit of skin that projects from the surrounding skin and may appear attached to the skin. Skin tags can vary quite a bit in appearance. They may be smooth or irregular, flesh colored or more deeply pigmented, and either simply be raised above the surrounding skin or have a stalk (a peduncle) so that the skin tag hangs from the skin."

Has anyone else heard of this before???

the gang
November 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM
yes, my min pin has one underneath his collar.

Beaglemom
November 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM
My beagle, Misty, had one removed last March. It was just a piece of skin that just hung down from her belly. It didn't bother her at all and we had it removed only because she was going to be under aenesthetic anyway to have her teeth done so we had it snipped off along with a growth on her eyelid.

cpietra16
November 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Winnie, my lab has one on her leg. I 've been keeping my eyes on it, incase it grows, but It never has grown bigger and it does not seem to bother her.

Luvmypit
November 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
See Prin this is why we are so addicted to this site. You learn something new everyday at pets.ca! Oh my I think that should be the new website catch phrase.

Shaykeija
November 30th, 2005, 04:59 PM
People get them also. I had over 20 removed about 5 years ago form my neck. Ugly little buggers.

Prin
November 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Shaykeija your wording is hilarious! LOL

And yes, you never ever stop learning here.:)