Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

London, ON pitbull owners

Georgiapeaches
November 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM
There is a trainer that will do a pitbull oriented course in our area(London), there needs to be 10 pitbull owners that register as the trainer is from Toronto, but will drive down on Sat or Sunday's to do the course. At the end of the 5 week course, he will do the CGN test on each dog!!! How awsome is that!!!
Honestly, this is a great opportunity! I am jumping on this.
PM me if you are interested and I will put you in contact with the organizer.
(this says Toronto, but as I said he is willing to come down once a week if there are 10 people to participate)

***crossposted***

Hello Dog Lovers

I am developing a 5 week program for Pit Bull Terriers here in
Toronto area. The 5 week course will deal with issues like
socialization,housing,proper social behaviour,training
aspects,muzzling issues due to the new legislation,predatory games,
prey drive, predatory shift and predatory kill..(which by the way all
dogs possess and people need to know that the simple games they play
with their dogs can set them up to become dogs that could attack
people) care and control plus get the dogs prepared to be tested for
the Canine Good Neighbor Evalution, which tests the dogs temperament
and social skills...basically it will determine if this dog has any
real issues to be looked at...I am a Canine Good Neighbor Evaluator
with the Canadian Kennel Club...

The cost of the 5 week program will be $225.00 which includes the CGN
test and certificate for those who pass. This piece of paper is so
important for this breed right now, and it is my hopes to be able to
show the government that these dogs are worth saving and not to ban
them.

If you know of anyone in the Toronto area with a Pit bull terrier or
staffordshire terrier, pass this onto them and have them contact me
if they wish to sign up. I will train 10 dogs per class. Each session
is roughly 2 hours of theory and hand outs. Dogs will be brought to
the classes for socialization skills and preparing them for a life in
society, where they belong.

Cheers

Don French

Georgiapeaches
November 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Oh yes, there are 4 confirmed participants, so if you would like to attend, pm me...the sooner there are 10 the sooner it will start!

Copper'sMom
November 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Oh that would be sweet! I imagine this course would be happening this winter?? I would be extremely interested, but my only problem is winter driving!! I am about an hour and a half east of London. But then again, if this gentleman is coming from T.O. I wonder if he'd drive that far if the weather was ify to bad???

Georgiapeaches
November 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Coppersmom, the course will start as soon as there are 10 participants. Yes, the trainer would be driving from Toronto, so I doubt he would drive on a day the weather is bad. Most likely the class would have to be made up.

Dukieboy
November 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Do you have a phone number or email addy for Don French?

Georgiapeaches
November 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Do you have a phone number or email addy for Don French?

I have sent you a pm!

Copper'sMom
November 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I thought I'd post this so all can see if they think their pooch would pass this test!!

What does the CGC Test consist of?

The Canine Good Citizen Test has ten parts. Each part of test consists of regular, everyday occurrences. A normal, well-behaved dog should have no difficulty passing.

Part One: Allowing a friendly stranger to approach.
Part Two: Sitting calmly and politely to be pet.
Part Three: Allowing handling for grooming and physical examination.
Part Four: Heeling politely on a loose lead.
Part Five: Walking calmly through crowded areas.
Part Six: Sit on command, and down on command.
Part Seven: Coming when called.
Part Eight: Greeting another well-behaved dog without aggression or excitement.
Part Nine: Handling distractions and distracting environments.
Part Ten: Behaving well when in the care of another and the owner or trusted handler is out of sight.

Owners are permitted to use praise and encouragement during testing, but toys and treats are not allowed. Also prohibited are special training collars, such as electronic collars and devices, prong collars and head halters. Standard buckle collars, and slip collars are permitted, and the dog's personal brush is recommended to have on hand.

Grounds for Dismissal and Failure of the Test:
Aggressive behaviour, such as growling or snapping is prohibited and the dog that demonstrates these behaviours will fail. Marking territory or otherwise eliminating is prohibited. Excessive anxiety, barking, whining or other displays of nervousness will also fail the dog.

Copper would pass with flying colours(so my vet told me this morning), but my little Zoe on the other hand.................not a chance!:eek:

lezzpezz
November 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Yvette Van Veen of Awesome Dogs does and always has offered pit bull friendly classes, if anyone wanted to check this out. Just another avenue for you folks to consider.

Georgiapeaches
November 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Yvette Van Veen of Awesome Dogs does and always has offered pit bull friendly classes, if anyone wanted to check this out. Just another avenue for you folks to consider.

Yep, and I have heard she is an awsome trainer! I am only suggesting this course because it includes the CGN test at the end of 5 weeks. This is a great chance to obtain it.

lezzpezz
November 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I agree! Any training that we can find that includes pit bulls is a bonus! Just thought I'd add that there is still a facility in London that will include pit bulls in the training classes, as it seems that so many doors are closing on them and you pb owners.

Anyone else out there know of pit bull friendly environments/classes/parks etc??

This would be a great place to share it, mind you, it would be another thread, perhaps:p

I may as well add that the 2 leash free parks in London INCLUDE pit bulls, with muzzles and leashes of course, but they can come and socialize:highfive:

babyrocky1
November 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I thought I'd post this so all can see if they think their pooch would pass this test!!

What does the CGC Test consist of?

The Canine Good Citizen Test has ten parts. Each part of test consists of regular, everyday occurrences. A normal, well-behaved dog should have no difficulty passing.

Part Ten: Behaving well when in the care of another and the owner or trusted handler is out of sight.

Owners are permitted to use praise and encouragement during testing, but toys and treats are not allowed. Also prohibited are special training collars, such as electronic collars and devices, prong collars and head halters. Standard buckle collars, and slip collars are permitted, and the dog's personal brush is recommended to have on hand.

Grounds for Dismissal and Failure of the Test:
Aggressive behaviour, such as growling or snapping is prohibited and the dog that demonstrates these behaviours will fail. Marking territory or otherwise eliminating is prohibited. Excessive anxiety, barking, whining or other displays of nervousness will also fail the dog.

Copper would pass with flying colours(so my vet told me this morning), but my little Zoe on the other hand.................not a chance!:eek: Thanks for posting that Coppers Mom, there is talk of people doing this in Toronto for the certification. Im all for it but I think we need to be realistic. I cant imagaine that Rocky would pass that certification from were he is now to passing in six sessions. If I were to do it I would have to do extensive work with him before he took the class! He always greets others dogs in an excited manner, unless he is sick, friendly, but excited, I never walk him on a flat collar, (that would be the biggest stumbling block) and since hes never off leash, I don't know how good he would be at recall, He used to be pretty good but we havent worked at it in a long time. We talked about it today in the P Bull co-op. We are thinking we would like to work with the dogs instead of just walkiing, but for now we will probably just do it ourselves, without a trainer. I would like Rocky to get that certification, but I cant afford it right now, and Im certain it would take more than six classes. BESIDES Im trying to do the fund-raisr and the pbull co-op! OOPS, five wks!!! My mistake!

BullLover
December 1st, 2005, 02:31 PM
Oh that would be sweet! I imagine this course would be happening this winter?? I would be extremely interested, but my only problem is winter driving!! I am about an hour and a half east of London. But then again, if this gentleman is coming from T.O. I wonder if he'd drive that far if the weather was ify to bad???

He's doing it in Dorchester, so you're only about 40 minutes away. Probably closer than people that live on the west side of the city. Come and join us.

BullLover
December 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM

I contacted Yvette a while ago and she wasn't sure what she was going to be doing about pitbulls in classes. She didn't know if they had to be muzzled, etc. I wanted to train with her, but she didn't get back to me. :sad:

BullLover
December 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
I have done a pre-evaluation of two of my pitts......
Here are their results.

Both: Check

Brutus: Fail, Sadie: Check

Brutus: Check, Sadie: Does this include walking herself?

Brutus: Check, Sadie: Does playing dead count as a down?

Is this not a pitbull that we are talking about. Excited, excited, excited. Brutus starts to whine with excitement over other dogs.
Both Fail

lezzpezz
December 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Ha ha ha hahaha!!! I thought that your doggie testing list was a hoot! I can picture your dogs doing the tests and behaving just like you described!

Too funny!!:D

Georgiapeaches
December 1st, 2005, 10:25 PM
Okay, so there are now 6 confirmed individuals attending. Meaning 4 more spots. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

If you are wanting to learn more regarding training and have your pitbull try for the CGN certificate this is your shot.

And, if you are unable to come to this, but are interested, definitely contact awsome dogs. This is the time to show our dogs in a positive light.

BullLover, your list on Brutus and Sadie is hilarious, lol.

BullLover
December 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM

And all true....:angel:

Conners
December 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
GP, when are the classes. I'd like to attend too, but if it is to close to Christmas or right after that could be a problem.

Conners
December 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
I have done a pre-evaluation of two of my pitts......
Here are their results.

Brutus: Fail, Sadie: Check

Brutus: Check, Sadie: Does this include walking herself?

Brutus: Check, Sadie: Does playing dead count as a down?

Is this not a pitbull that we are talking about. Excited, excited, excited. Brutus starts to whine with excitement over other dogs.
Both Fail

Shasta
Part 1 - passed
part 2 - passed
part 3 - passed
part 4 - may have a problem. I use a gentle leader.
part 5 - again the gentle leader, but think would pass
part 6 - passed
part 7 - If I say "COOKIE", it's a pass for sure.
part 8 - aggression no, excitement unpredictible. For sure not if it's Brutus.
part 9 - passed
part 10 - never tried. ???

BullLover
December 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Okay, so there are now 6 confirmed individuals attending. Meaning 4 more spots. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

If you are wanting to learn more regarding training and have your pitbull try for the CGN certificate this is your shot.

And, if you are unable to come to this, but are interested, definitely contact awsome dogs. This is the time to show our dogs in a positive light.

Georgia:

Are you going to this?

Georgiapeaches
December 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Georgia:

Are you going to this?

Yes, I am.