Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two more training questions-how long between outdoor visits and puppy nipping problem

joeysmama
November 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I hate to be a pest but you are all so helpful and I really really want to be a responsible pet owner.

I've had my puppy for 2 weeks. He's 3 months. The first week was tough with the training but we had a couple of days with no accidents in the house. Most days though we're still averaging one a day. The crate is dry in the morning. We get up in the wee hours to get him out and then again a couple hours later when we're up for the day. He's been holding it well at night for about a week.

My first question is this: How often should I be getting him outside? If I take him every 45 minutes to an hour he doesn't always go. He plays with leaves, or just lies down in the grass. I want him to understand that outside is for potty. An hour and half to two hours seems to insure that he has to go but sometimes it's just a smitch too long and he piddles in the house.

Second question: He is teething and wants to chew all the time. I'm on my way to Target in about a minute to get him more satisfying chew toys. (and a coat and boots) What I started doing is keeping his toys in a basket out of his reach so that he doesn't see all of them all the time and get bored with them. I take out one or two and switch them from time to time. When I see him chewing on say a magazine or a table leg I tell him "No" in a firm voice and then take out his basket and let him pull a toy from it--then I praise him when he plays with the toy.

The bigger problem is that he wants to chomp down on our feet when we're walking or bite our hands when we pick him up. This is all playful---his disposition is so friendly. But it does hurt and we don't want to raise a bratty pup. I've been telling him "No bite" in a firm tone and then giving him something more acceptable to chew on. Today I told him "No bite" and then put him in his crate for a few minutes--not too long becase I know he would forget why he was in there. I did this three times within a half hour and I really think he got the idea somewhat. The next time he did it I said "no bite" and he stopped. I was just concerned because I want his crate to be a place of comfort and not punishment.

I did try just leaving him when he does it but he's a bit of a Houdini and gets himself squeezed between the gate and the wall, tries to chew his way through the dog food bag. He just gets very busy trying to get to me.

Oh, one more housebreaking question. He does not seem to be showing much inclination to let us know when he wants to go out. The other day I was here in the office and he barked at the window and then tried to squat. I grabbed him and took him straight outside and he did his business. I thought that was a sign that he is ready. But so far that's it. And that was days ago. The only time he barks at the door is if I step outside without him. I've tried doing that before I take him. He does go straight to the door if he sees me put on my shoes and coat. I take him out the same door every time.

Thanks for your help. I hope I'm not being too much of a bother. This is my first puppy and I just want to do things correctly so he is well behaved.

jessi76
November 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM
My first question is this: How often should I be getting him outside? If I take him every 45 minutes to an hour he doesn't always go. He plays with leaves, or just lies down in the grass. I want him to understand that outside is for potty. An hour and half to two hours seems to insure that he has to go but sometimes it's just a smitch too long and he piddles in the house.

really reading their body language helps more than having scheduled potty breaks. If it's been an hour, and he's not showing any signs of having to "go" then wait, but as soon as he sniffs, circles or squats get him outside.

I was just concerned because I want his crate to be a place of comfort and not punishment.

then don't use it as punishment. I occassionally put my pup in the crate when he was being too "nippy" but I never said a word. Scooped him up gently, placed him in, shut it, walked away for 3 minutes. then let him out like nothing happened. It was just to give him a few minutes to settle down.

The other day I was here in the office and he barked at the window and then tried to squat. I grabbed him and took him straight outside and he did his business. I thought that was a sign that he is ready.

that's great! but don't expect him to bark each time he needs to go out just yet. he'll get it - just takes time. It took our pup a few months to get a potty signal down pat - now he goes to the door, whines, finds me, then back to the door.

this forum is for questions, asking anything is never a bother! you're doing great with your new pup!

joeysmama
November 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Jessi, thank you so much for your reply. I guess I was feeling as though we should be further along in this process. My neighbor told me six months and my cousins friend said ONE WEEK !!! So I am clueless and I sooo appreciate your feedback. I'm ok with it taking a while as long as I know I'm on the right track.

I just got him some toys that he can really gnaw on and he's more than happy to chew on them instead of me. He's just excitable, not mean bites at all.

Beetlecat
November 29th, 2005, 11:42 PM
How often should I be getting him outside?

As often as he needs it. Pups differ. It's easiest if you are feeding a rationed amount (half morning,half night). then you stick them in the crate to eat and take them straight out about 15 minutes later to potty. For the rest of the time, you just have to learn your dog's body language for when he needs to go.

When I see him chewing on say a magazine or a table leg I tell him "No" in a firm voice and then take out his basket and let him pull a toy from it--then I praise him when he plays with the toy.

Sounds good.

The bigger problem is that he wants to chomp down on our feet when we're walking or bite our hands when we pick him up.

What works best with pups (as a punishment) is isolation. However you do it, he will quickly learn that biting means that you leave him. And he will hate that. You can try ignoreing him if he bites. Just turn your back and refuse to interact with him. If you do that a few times and it doesn't work, then you can isolate him for a few minutes. Make a seperate area if you're worried about the crate.

Oh, one more housebreaking question. He does not seem to be showing much inclination to let us know when he wants to go out.

Mine didn't either until he was quite old. I eventually taught him the command 'speak' and then asked him to do that before letting him outside to potty. Before I did that, his method was to stare intently at the back of my head - a method which was not really working well for either of us :) Now he sits beside me and whines louder and louder and will bark once or twice if I don't go quick enough.

And when he wants outside for a walk, he'll stand furthur away and whine softly and quit after a few moments if I don't listen to him. I think he invented that one because I got mad if he barked to go out when he didn't have to potty :D