Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten ate leather?

Okami
November 29th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Just a few minutes ago my kitten just vomited. While I was inspecting what he coughed up I found that it was mostly water and a big chunk of black stuff. I think it was leather (shiney, squishy, (leathery texture)). Now I checked all the shoes in my house for any signs of chewing and there were none.
This little guy has been doing just fine (eating/sleeping/playing/energy normal) until a few moments ago.
Does this warrent a visit to the vet?
I would immediatly take him to the vet if if was a shoe because of the chemicals used on the leather, but all the other leather in my house has not been treated with chemicals by us.

Riley'sMom
November 29th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Do you think it might just be a hairball? My cat used to vomit up some pretty nasty ones...sometimes they would be black in colour, shiny and squishy...

I would just monitor her and see if she contiues to vomit then take her in. If it was just a one time thing then that's all it might have been or whatever she did it, luckily she brought it up!!

Good luck :love:

Okami
November 29th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I've never seen a hairball before, so I'm not sure if it is one. This may sound disgusting but I tried pulling the stuff apart it looked like a flat material torn in some places with indents in it. (>< not sure if this will help but my cat has silver fur, does that mean he has silver hairballs?) Well he seems really tired after vomiting because he's sleeping (he did eat a bit before he slept).

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 12:30 AM
And you're sure nothing was eaten in your home? He doesn't go outside, right? If you find what he ate, you might be able to tell if he threw it all up or not (if he did, he might be ok now.. if he didn't, then I would worry...)

SnowDancer
November 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Have you checked out your leather gloves? My Eskimo loves gloves.