Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long Time to Poop/Diarreha

Riley'sMom
November 28th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi all...my baby Boston Terrier, Riley (seven months), seems to have come down with a bout of "the runs". It began this morning when I noticed that he was taking a awfully long time to poop (longer than normal). When he did finally poop it was quite runny. He has continued to poop the same all day. Now the only thing I can think of that may be causing it is that during his obedience class yesterday he received a lot of treats!! So I am not too sure if he got "over indulged" so to speak or if it could be something else. I have not changed his food or introduced anything other than what he normally gets. Other than the soft poops, he seems to be feeling okay. He is eating and drinking as per normal and is playing with me and my husband as he always would. He does not appear lathargic or in discomfort in anyway.

Do any of you know how I can help him to get over this, such as home remedy type ideas? Or do I wait it out for another day to see if he goes back to normal.

Thank a lot :)
Riley's Mom

jawert1
November 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Keep an eye on him for sure, and yes, too many treats can cause the runs. If he doesn't improve in another day, I would recommend putting him on bland diet (rice, boiled chicken/lamb/ground beef) until his stools become harder and more normal. Otherwise, take treats that you know sit well with him to training and break them into much smaller pieces so he's getting treated but with controlled amounts :) Good luck and keep us posted on his recovery :pawprint:

yoda900_ca
November 29th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Is it possible he got into something? My 5month old puppy at flags/rags that we used flag football. (who would have thought he would eat that) We didn't know till he started w/runny poops and about 24hrs later we got our first flag out the back side. we had to take him to the vet and there were 4 more in there. we took him home watched 4 vomiting lack of eating,etc. Thankfully the rest past with in 48hrs. Nothing like watching a 2ft long flag come out of your dog:yuck:

coppperbelle
November 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Try giving him some boiled rice or raw pumpkin (not the pie filling). A few teaspoons should do it.