Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting pup used to wearing boots... Almost a training issue...

PetFriendly
November 28th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Quick question... How long should it take for a pup to get used to boots? I'm fairly certain they fit properly, but he refuses to move (even when a meat bone is being offered up) when the boots are on. So its one of two things, he just hates them or they aren't comfortable. How do I tell if they aren't fitting properly and are uncomfortable? Then, once we're sure they fit properly, how do I get him used to the idea of them being on? Help!

Prin
November 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I think the problem isn't the boots, but your reaction to the boots. If you can't get past it and you worry about it, he'll sense that and feed off of it. I'd just put them on in the house, then get all dressed to go out, leash up and go. Pretend for yourself that you're going to make it to a park and you're going to have fun. Sorry if it sounds trivial, but I think you have to change your attitude and discomfort about the boots... I could say "don't draw attention to them" but that won't help if you're still thinking about it and wondering how comfortable the doggy is.. Just think "Every dog in the history of dog boots has gotten used to the boots."

Does that make sense at all?

BernerLver
November 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM
just put them on in the house, then get all dressed to go out, leash up and go.

Totally agree. Our Muttluks came with a little pamphlet that gave the same advice. I believe their website also has a FAQ section that you might find helpful.

Bailey is still not crazy about them and acts weird with them on in the house but as soon as his leash is on and we are out the door he barely notices them.

He's too busy enjoying his walk to care.

StaceyB
November 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I agree just put them on when you are about to go out and act as if there is nothing different. You may also want to put them on periodically during the day for a few minutes. They don't take all that long to get used to though they do look funny with their high stepping.

Roxy's_MA
November 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
As other have posted, just put them on and don't make a big deal. Roxy always lets me put clothes on her, because she knows if the jacket or vest comes on, it is time to go somewhere. Hopefully your pup will associate the boots with something fun like walking or playing outside.

StaceyB
November 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Montana has never had a problem with either his coat or boots. Come to think of it the others have never had a problem with it either.

PetFriendly
November 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM
He doesn't mind his coats, sits still while I put them on. He's not crazy about his harness and will hide in his crate to avoid it but once its on, he's fine and goes about his day.

It doesn't bother me that much that he doesn't like them, he needs to wear them and that's just the end of it... I don't fuss or coo, just hold his leash so he doesn't bolt, tell him 'boots' then put them on him, he doesn't fight me putting them on either.

The high stepping is great entertainment, but having to drag him down the road (we made it to the end of the driveway) just isn't fun. Now that we have a slight break in the weather, I just got more time to practice in the house. Maybe we'll put them on in the livingroom before meals, then he'll have to move around in them or starve?! (no I'm not cruel, but working for your food is better than salt burns on the feet!)

joeysmama
November 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I bought a very inexpensive pair at Target tonight and they were very difficult to get on puppy's feet. It took two of us. We got the back ones on first and put him down. He proceeded to chase his back paws. Too funny !

Then we put the front ones on and put him down. He wasn't sure how to move--he was high stepping ! We were trying to act nonchalant about it but it was hysterical. Within a few minutes he was ok with them, walking a little strangely but acting normally.

Then we put his new jacket on and he just laid down on his side like a slug. Wouldn't move. It's a little big but very warm and cozy and I think he'll get used to it.

Where can I find Muttlucks? Are they fairly easy to get on and off.? The ones I bought today are an ordeal.

StaceyB
November 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM
The muttluks go on like socks

PetFriendly
November 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Where can I find Muttlucks? Are they fairly easy to get on and off.? The ones I bought today are an ordeal.

I got mine at PetSmart. I priced out ordering them from the manufacturer via the web and except for a greater selection of colours on the web it costs as much as buying them in the store.

PetFriendly
November 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Charley can actually high step his back legs higher than his head. I wasn’t able to get a picture, but its terribly hard not to burst out laughing.

Last night after posting I put the boots back on… He made it across the room with them, laid on his bed and there he stayed for an entire half hour…

StaceyB
November 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Is he bothering to try and get them off or is he just laying there.

PetFriendly
November 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM
He just lays there.

I actually got him to come outside with them on just now... Of course he really needed to go out after being home alone all day... But hey, you have to do what you have to do... I should say though that praise and coockies were also offered once he got out the door to make it a happy thing.

sudmedic
November 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
My oldest dog also did the high stepping when he first started wearing his boots!! It's hillarious!!! He did however get used to the boots. He will stay outside all day if he has his boots and coat on. My youngest dog hates the boots and has actually shredded them. She seems to be fine with just her coat. I think it completely depends on the dog and they'll let you know!

SnowDancer
November 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I see dogs at weekly socialization who refuse to leave without their boots. They lift their paws and slide in their lovely little feet. My Eskimo is NOT one of those dogs. He refuses and of course he is white with dirty feet.

PetFriendly
November 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
We made it out the driveway and down the road to the mailbox! The key seems to be to keep up the momentum, if I slow down, he finds a place to lay down... So long as I'm walking, he's trying to keep up and can't protest.

I'm not so worried about him tracking in a mess, the boots are more for the cold and salt.

joeysmama
November 30th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Charley looks too cute lying there with his one little boot peeking out !!

Isn't the high stepping hilarious? We were trying so hard not to let him see us laughing. Now I need to get him to clam down when we put clothes on him. He thinks getting the boots on is a game. I'm going to try the Muttlucks and wait until he's in one of his calm moods before I try them for the first time.

I think I made the mistake of trying to get these on while he was still excited about me coming home. I'm learning !

SnowDancer
November 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM
My Eskimo was not excited when I first tried his Muttluks - but he sure got that way once I did. Which is why I had the lady who measured his feet check them out for me. Little wuss.

tiernan
December 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Micha didn't like her Muttluks when we first put them on last year, but let me tell you when it got to -20 or so in Ottawa she had NO problem!!!! It was infact the only way for her to stay outside long enough in the cold to do her business.

PetFriendly
December 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Last night we went for another walk all suited up and while the boots appear to be slightly too big, we only lost one at the very begining (and noticed soon enough that we didn't have to back track much) and I think I had them a little tight after that because he was doing the cold foot dance but with the boot on?! So we'll re-adjust and try again.

And he walks in the most perfect heel position you could imagine without being asked to, with the boots on..

I'm not putting them on in the house anymore, so he associates the boots with going for a walk, or for a drive, which are things he loves.

maddoxies
December 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I prefer buying the boots (Muttluks especially) at the store rather than on-line. that way the staff can help you to fit them. How much of a bargin is it if you get the wrong size and they don't work???

Ah yes, the high stepping, or "ballerina walk" is just too funny. You should see a 100 pound golden doing it. The Rudolph Neurieve of the doggie world lol.

I put "idiot strings" on my guy's boots. The only problem is the string over the butt, it will slide off. I put a safety pin on the end of his coat and run the string through the pin. When I was walking 2 dogs, I got dizzy trying to watch 8 paws and make sure no one's boots fell off. If they are on properly, they should not come off, but at the price I was not taking chances AND in deep snow too.

PetFriendly
December 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm starting to think that I'll have to go out and buy a pattern to make new boots for him...

Just to re-cap. We bought the muttluk all weather boots, size XX-Small. We've been out a few times with them on and already the toes are coming appart. This tells me that they are too big, even though the sizing grid included indicates that he needs the size I bought. For fun, we went and tried out the size called Itty BItty (next smallest size)... It was too smalll, but just barely... Any ideas?

StaceyB
December 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Would you like me to check them out for you. You can come by the shop any time.

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Stacey to the rescue, yet again!

I think I'll take you up on that (and I have been meaning to visit, just haven't had the time yet, or I was in the area, sans Charley and I know he'd want to visit too). I'll send you an email tomorrow to find out which times/days would be best.