Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do with Lice...

frostiex
November 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Ok, I went to the vet today as I was bathing my dog, I saw some things on him, can't relly tell, so I took him to the vet and they pull on off and looked under the microscope and it was lice. so the vet gave us 3 dose of advantage multi 10 to use over the course of the next 6 weeks.

So I heard that I could spray the areas with lysol and kill the eggs, is that true?

can you people give some opinions on what to do?

I washed all my dog's stuff animals and bedding and his area with diluted bleach, but carpet is tricky, I read that the lysol spray will work on human lice, does anyone know if it will do the same for lice on dogs?

please help asap...I have not let my dog in our carpeted area and only let him stay in the sun room, and he looks so sad...and that make me feel even more upset..I know he wants to be with us and so do I...but I just don't know what else to do..and it is snowing outside so our sun room is colder too..

:(

thanks.

BMDLuver
November 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Lice are in cycles, so the live one's will be killed by the first round, the next hatching will be killed by the next round so what eventually happens is everything dies. They stick like glue in the dogs fur and are not transmissable to humans so I wouldn't get too worried about it.. the cycle will run it's course. Just don't have any visitors (animals) until the cycles are through.

wdawson
November 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM
call a professional company, you will be wasting your money on retail products that don't really work.......i own a carpet cleaning company and always refer customers with these problems to an extermination company.

just my opinion

t.pettet
November 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM
There is a product called "Zodiac Carpet Spray" - (aerosol can) it really works on fleas and their eggs and lice. Its not to spray on your dog and would open windows and doors for a few hrs. after using. Have successfully used it when needed. Home Hardware carries it.

jawert1
November 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Lysol is also extremely harmful to animals, I wouldn't recommend using it in any proximity to your pup's bedding or toys. Ask your vet if there's a powder product that can go in the carpet that you can vacuum up, they may know of something but please don't use Lysol :)