Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog mouthing kitten

Gazoo
November 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Our 2 year old dog is putting our new kitten's whole head and sometimes almost her whole body in his mouth?!?!?

Curious as to why he's doing this? So is the kitten who doesn't seem to be enjoying the baths anymore :D

maddoxies
November 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
My golden used to to that. It was his magic trick. Want to see the cat's head disappear???? He did it with a full grown cat, who batted the heck out of him (no claws, she came to me that way). Bebe used to get her "revenge" by eating the golden's food.

I never did find a way to stop the golden, but eventually he grew out of it.

StaceyB
November 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
It is a new play buddy. As long as he is not hurting the kitten then I wouldn't worry. The kitten will let him know when she has had enough.

Prin
November 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
My friend's doggy used to pick up the kitties to show off. I swear one day he was trying to teach Boo how to do it. It was funny for everybody but the kitty- I could almost hear him thinking when he was grabbed by the neck "Stupid instinct to go limp!":D But the doggy was always gentle.

amber416
November 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
My golden puppy does this constantly with my six month old kitten, Penny. My family calls Penny "the breathing squeak toy" . The thing is, I have half of the duplex baby-gated off so the cats have several rooms to themselves, sort of a safe haven from Cami. Penny refuses to stay away from Cami, though, and I have certainly caught her egging Cami on while I am restraining her, desperately (though quite unsuccessfuly) trying to teach "leave it", something i have nearly given up on. Penny has claws but has never used them on Cami, for some reason. I almost wish she would, as I know Cami would leave her alone then, it's frusterating. It's a relief to know she will grow out of it, though :) .

Lucky Rescue
November 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
OH be careful, or may be greeting by a horrifying sight like this!!:eek:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/120275167.jpg

Disclaimer: No kittens were consumed in the making of this picture.

But seriously, you should teach your dog to "Leave it". He may only be playing, but if the kitten struggles or cries, prey drive can be excited and one bite could kill the kitten.

Roxy's_MA
November 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Lucky - That picture is halarious! Is the kitten actually in her mouth?

My dog can't fit them in her mouth, so she just sits on them.

Lucky Rescue
November 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Is the kitten actually in her mouth?

No!:p The rest of the kitten's body is under the dog's head.

Prin
November 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Poor kitty... Or lucky kitty... It depends on how warm and cuddly that doggy's neck is...

Gazoo
November 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM
OH be careful, or may be greeting by a horrifying sight like this!!:eek:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/120275167.jpg

Disclaimer: No kittens were consumed in the making of this picture.

But seriously, you should teach your dog to "Leave it". He may only be playing, but if the kitten struggles or cries, prey drive can be excited and one bite could kill the kitten.

good point

LM1313
November 29th, 2005, 12:06 AM
My dog did this too and it really traumatized the poor kitten . . . I read somewhere that its comforting for puppies when dogs do this, because it's reminiscent of the adult dog regurgitating food for that pup.

~LM~