Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

War of the Worlds?

Prin
November 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Boooooo! That's all I have to say about this movie. There are far too many holes and the characters are overdeveloped at the wrong times- I mean really, are you going stop moving to fight with your absentee dad when you're running from aliens? I highly doubt it. Dakota Fanning is usually a good little person, but in this one she plays a screaming brat and it gets annoying very very quickly.

I couldn't even finish watching it. It's horrible.

Anybody else see it?

Rick C
December 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I rented it, watched it, fast-forwarded through the mushy parts and generally liked it better probably because of that. . . . .

Still, there's a gigantic plot hole there you can't get around . . . . why would a race bury machines in the ground for use in a million years? Why not just take over the planet then?

And other plot holes generated by Spielberg's attempt to get creative.

I've read the book from the 1800's a number of times and that's still the ultimate, probably more terrifying than Hollywood can make it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

K9Friend
December 4th, 2005, 02:23 PM
lmao, BOO tom Cruise! :eek: I won't watch it!
:sorry: I had to let that out -just not a Tom Cruise fan anymore!

Rick C
December 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
lmao, BOO tom Cruise! :eek: I won't watch it!
:sorry: I had to let that out -just not a Tom Cruise fan anymore!

You're the reason Steven Spielberg no longer talks to Tom Cruise . . . . War of the Worlds came out when Cruise went snaky and was a bit of a failure when many people reacted with the same opinion as you.

S'okay though!!! He fired his Scientology sister as his publicist and hired a "normal" professional for that job . . . . . so things should get back to normal.

Or has he forever tarnished his brush?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BMDLuver
December 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Lol Rick C, you must be one very interesting gentleman.

As for Tom Cruise, he's still pretty darn sexy in my books.. besides he doesn't have to speak just look pretty, right? ;) Of course, I'd pass right by him to get to Richard Gere!

JDG
December 4th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Having lived in Woking Surrey England, a hop skip and a jump from Horsell Common the 'real' first landing place of the Aliens and HG Wells' book - you actually know the real distain he had for the area, and as dumb as it sounds it disapointed me that they didn't choose to distroy the real place that HG hated. . . . . . .

I boycotted. Never saw it, and won't.

K9Friend
December 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM
You're the reason Steven Spielberg no longer talks to Tom Cruise . . . . War of the Worlds came out when Cruise went snaky and was a bit of a failure when many people reacted with the same opinion as you.

S'okay though!!! He fired his Scientology sister as his publicist and hired a "normal" professional for that job . . . . . so things should get back to normal.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

lol, actually I was never a big fan of Tom, even before he went a little weird with his scientology and sofa rants on Oprah! ;)

Shamrock
December 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Not sure if that helped much, Rick.;) He's still stirring up the controversy, some feel Tom is closing in on Michael Jackson in the weirdness sweepstakes after his recent interview with Barbara Walters, during which he stated he'd purchased his own ultrasound machine, presumably to use for he and girlfriends expected baby. hmm. Hospitals not trustworthy, Tom?

One blurb from a medical site:

In response to recent news of a celebrity purchasing an ultrasound machine for home use, the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) reaffirms its statement on the prudent use of ultrasound. "Tom Cruise's recent purchase of an ultrasound machine for personal use at home is both inappropriate and in violation of FDA rules addressing the sale of medical equipment," asserts AIUM President Lennard Greenbaum, MD, of The Hughes Center for Fetal Diagnostics at the Arnold Palmer Hospital, Orlando, Florida.
----
Havent seen the movie myself... not really a science fiction fan.

Rick C
December 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Mmmmm . . . . I forgot about the ultra-sound thing. I think people have come out publicly to warn he may harm the unborn baby with excessive use.

Nobody said he'd changed . . . . just that he's moving to keep the stranger aspects of his life under wraps and that is public relations management.

Lets face it, if people generally knew about half the strange things each and every one of us believes in or does, we'd probably be in the same boat as Tom Cruise among our co-workers or friends!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Shamrock
December 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Good point, Rick!:D
I think however.. as Tom was already raising eyebrows, so to speak - he might have been better off not offering this tidbit of info on national tv.

Already harshly criticized for presenting himself as qualified to address psyschiatric disorder treatments, he's apparently branched out to home fetal diagnostics.

And I thought he was just a pretty face..

K9Friend
December 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Too much $$$$ just makes you weird. :crazy: ;)

Gazoo
December 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Back to the movie.

I though it was a great flick, especially since it was based on book that is over 100 years old!!!!

You people who didn't like it think too much. :p

Prin
December 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM
LOL When the plot holes are so big you can drive a car through them, it's hard to shut off so much brain power to keep up...

SchnauzerGirl
December 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I agree, the plot holes were huge, but I was expecting zero from the movie therefore I was actually entertained but yes, I honestly did check my brain in at the door to enjoy this one.

Yep, Tom Cruise is one weird-o and I was depressed when I heard that Katie Holmes got sucked in (it's like the trusting little girl image that she portrayed in Dawson's Creek wasn't actually an act).

Poor poor woman... but then again, we make our own choices.. hey, maybe Tom Cruise has a brain washing machine to complement his ultrasound machine?