Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

too much exercise?

kayla
November 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Sometimes when I play fetch with Kayla she ends up vomiting. Am I exercising her too hard? I asked the vet about this and he didnít seem to think much of it, he said just to make sure I wasnít exercising her right after feeding her, which I donít.

Also, she has had runny poo for a long time and has come back negative for worms or parasites. I asked my vet if this could be thyroid or something, but he didnít think much of that either. But sometimes I donít think much of my vet so I wanted to ask if anyone here has had similar experiences? Could this be a symptom of thyroid disorder? Or just a sensitive tummy? I have been trying to figure her out for so long. The only food that she has mostly solid stools with is Kirkland (costco) food. It just seems like she's got some sort of digestive problem with her stools and the vomiting, and I'm running out of ideas here and would really appreciate any input! Thanks.

Prin
November 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM
How long before or after you exercise do you feed your doggy?

Boo used to throw up often and get diarrhea often but it was because he was intolerant to chicken.. Aren't there a ton of other symptoms of a thyroid problem? I don't think you'd only have vomitting and diarrhea...

kayla
November 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I fed her breakfast about 4 hours before I took her out today, but she hardly even ate (she gained a lot of weight when the foster was here because she feels like there is a competition for food or something, now she is hardly eating, guess she's trying to lose her extra pounds;) ).

She has been on chicken free food and still throws up. Actually I had a roommate once who was a major sports addict and occasionally pushed herself so hard she would throw up (not making herself, just randomly puking as she ran:yuck: ) which this kinda reminds me of.. Maybe Kayla just doesn't know when to stop, she will go on for hours if I let her, she has NEVER ended a game of fetch, our record is two hours until my arm got sore!

But with the runny stool plus vomiting, I just feel like something is wrong with her digestion, but I can't figure out what. :sick:

Prin
November 27th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Jemma plays like a mad person, and doesn't know at all when to stop but it never made her throw up... Dogs are naturally athletes and if she's eating 4 hours before, I really don't think that playing is the reason...

kayla
November 27th, 2005, 10:28 PM
But what else could it be? Maybe I need to talk to a new vet about it. I don't know, kinda at a loss here...:confused:

Prin
November 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Maybe try smaller meals more dispersed through the day?

kayla
November 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe I will try just leaving her food out for her all day to eat when she wants. She's not a pig at all (unless there is tuna in it or other dogs are around) so she won't overeat. Maybe this way she will just eat a little here and there when she's hungry.