Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone know of any hound rescues

t.pettet
November 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
8 week old hound pup needs a better future - looking for hound rescue. Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
November 26th, 2005, 10:12 PM
What kind of hound? Beagle, bloodhound, coonhound....? Purebred? What's the story? Do you know who bred it? Why is it homeless at that age?

Do you have a picture? Shouldn't be hard to find an 8 week old puppy a home.

t.pettet
November 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Deb's Lucky Rescue - this pup is part fox hound-beagle and he's destined for a life of being chained to a dog house in the back yard of the moron who owns him along with his 4 other dogs ranging in age from 12 yrs. to 6 mos. This guy is an avid hunter and for 2 weeks in the fall takes his 1 hound out to run deer. The 12 yr. old dog is a samoyed mix who got too big for the house when he hit the 6 mos. mark along with the 1 1/2 yr. old lab mix. The jack russel was un-trainable (?????) so he's not outside also. They have shelter, food (super-saver crap) and water so the SPCA can't do much with our laws the way they are. None of the dogs have been vaccinated or neutered and I can't sit by and watch another suffer the same fate which is why am looking for hound rescue. I don't know where he got this pup but his wife did ask me for some worming medicine since they can't afford to take it to a vet right now. Because they see many dogs come in and out of my place because I'm a groomer they automatically thought I'd have meds.

kayla
November 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Do they want to find him a better home? How do you plan on getting him out of there?

meb999
November 27th, 2005, 02:10 PM
uhhhh, you're planning on taking him without their consent, are you?

canine14
November 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
If you lived up here and saw how people leave their dogs on 3 ft. chains for their whole lives with minimal food and water, you would too. You can't reason with these people. Animals are a cash crop for them so why wouldn't dogs be treated as property? It's heartbreaking.

t.pettet
November 28th, 2005, 11:18 PM
You'll be happy to know that a rescue group for hounds only (mostly hounds picked up by animal control and caring individuals opposed to hunting with dogs) is awaiting his arrival. I can't give all the details of his impending disappearance but things will look alot brighter for this little guy. I would love to chain this moron and his wife to a dog house for a couple of weeks, feed them crap, yell at them to shut up and try to give them some insight as to how cruel that are to their dogs.

kayla
November 28th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Question is, will he just go out and get another one? Might want to find out where he gets his puppies from, and if they are good people you could ask them not to sell to him anymore.

have you ever tried talking some sense into your neighbor?

t.pettet
November 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Hi Kayla, yes I have made a few attempts but these people are hicks, to them animals are possessions (like his new truck) and whether they have feelings or not is of no consequence. They are put on this earth to empower humans and in his case to assist him to kill a deer. They regard humans as far superior to any other life form and he himself has a napoleonic type of personality. Being a man of small stature and an alcoholic with very limited intelligence there is no infiltrating his teeny weeny brain to other ways of thinking. His house, wife, kids and animals are his possessions. He's your typical red-neck and his cronies are exactly the same so I'm not even going to attempt to find out where the pup came from but as soon as the pup is safely away am reporting him to animal control for having over the 3 dog limit.

meb999
November 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Well, unfortunetly, legally speaking dogs ARE possesions. And taking one away without the owners consent makes that theft. Don't get caught -- plus I would be REALLY weary of a rescue that's willing to take in a stolen dog.
All of it sounds like bad news to me. This guy is just going to go out and buy a new dog -- your best bet is to call animal control and try to get THEM to take this little guy out of this situation.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I would take him to a rescue in a different province, if that is at all possible. I wonder sometimes if somebody is going to recognize Boo and want him back (Boo was a stray). Then again, he isn't covered in open wounds and his fur isn't red from lack of nutrition, so maybe they won't recognize him at all.

meb999
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
There's a world of difference between an un-claimed stray and stealing a dog. Out of province or not, any rescue that takes in a stolen dog aren't doing the right thing and aren't very reputable. No matter what we think of dog-owners like this guy, the only person who has the right to make the decision to take the dog away is animal-control.
Stealing is never a good idea, and has pretty serious consequences if you get caught. Call animal control.

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ya, well, sometimes there is only one way to help a pet and I know I wouldn't be able to just stand by and watch. There are so many mutts and pure breds out there, how will they know this one wasn't a runaway?

Lucky Rescue
November 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Ya, well, sometimes there is only one way to help a pet and I know I wouldn't be able to just stand by and watch.

I agree and would have no compunction about doing the same thing.

mona_b
November 30th, 2005, 12:13 AM
There's a world of difference between an un-claimed stray and stealing a dog. Out of province or not, any rescue that takes in a stolen dog aren't doing the right thing and aren't very reputable. No matter what we think of dog-owners like this guy, the only person who has the right to make the decision to take the dog away is animal-control.
Stealing is never a good idea, and has pretty serious consequences if you get caught. Call animal control.

Well said.

It is theft no matter what.

If this rescue gets caught,the owner can and probably will lay charges big time.And you better hope to heck that this rescue isn't "stealing" other dogs from owners.The law is the law.Sorry,but that's just the way it is.

Get a hold of the SPCA now and explain everything to them what you have said here.If this person is over the 3 dog limit,let them know.If they don't have their shots,let them know that also.Are they licenced?If not,there is a fine for this.The fine varies,it could be upto $250.

Prin
November 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
At least the OP is in Ontario, where there might be more hope for a solution to this doggy's issues...

t.pettet
November 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Get your facts straight:

Animal control has no legal right to take a neglected, chained dog. They can mandate how many dogs a person can own, pick-up strays and can take a dog that is being relinquished by owner. Nor can they make an owner vaccinate their dogs. SPCA can take a dog who is sick, or being treated cruelly (beaten, kicked etc.) but cannot take one that has shelter, food and water even if they are destined to live their entire life tied on a chain in a back yard. Nor can they make an owner vaccinate or de-worm their pets(except rabies shots). Why should this type of owner have the right to treat his dogs in this manner. Would you like to live these dogs lives. Why does our present cruelty laws have to be changed - ever ask yourself that?

White Wolf
November 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
You'll be happy to know that a rescue group for hounds only (mostly hounds picked up by animal control and caring individuals opposed to hunting with dogs) is awaiting his arrival.
The original issue was resolved and the thread will now be closed before the rudeness gets out of hand.:)