Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Restless and sad dog

Blue-Roans
November 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I have two cocker spaniels - brother & sister. The boy seems to have problems with his digestive system (and it's always at the weekend when there are no vets easily available). Today my dog woke at the normal time but instead of his normal "out for a quick wee and back for a biscuit", he stayed out for ages eating grass. He quickly brought that back and has been OK but fairly quiet all day. He is now very restless and keeps bending round to his back end. He has not eaten a thing all day and can't be tempted with anything. He doesn't seem to have passed a motion all day either. Any ideas??

lezzpezz
November 26th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hello and welcome to the board. Sorry that it is under such circumstances, however.

I don't want to scare you, but I think you should immediately consult a veterinarian.

It sounds like your dog may be royally bunged up (constipated). Has he made any noises as if he is in pain? Has he been straining as if trying to go, but no luck? He may start to pass rock hard marble-type of stool, IF he can pass anything at all!:eek: He is already telling you that he is not hungry at all, is acting out of character and is lethargic. He can't speak, but he is telling you he needs help now.

He needs to get to a vet, and yes, these things always happen when the vet is closed!

Did he possibly eat something unusual that he cannot easily pass? The grass eating is a tell-tale sign of a sore gut/bowels and the only thing the dog knows how to do when it doesn't feel well. He is showing you signs that he is in discomfort and needs help NOW. He may start to bloat next, which is VERY painful.

It would be in your best interests to get the dog to a vet pronto or you could be facing possible gastrointestinal surgery (think lotsa money here and a very sick dog), if you do not act fast. If he has a torsion, (twist), this can be life-threatening.

The sooner your dog is seen by a doctor, the better. Xrays likely involved....

Please let us know how things turn out!!:ca:

Blue-Roans
November 28th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks for your concern, however my dog is fine now. He does seem to suffer from digestive problems from time to time so I left him overnight and he seemed a bit better the next morning. I had some "Primperid" medicine left from one occasion so I gave him a dose of that and within 2 hours he was wagging his tail and bringing us a toy to throw for him. We had a real scare earlier this year and the vet thought he had liver cancer because he had a scan and it showed a mass. We were devastated. However, they treated him with some antibiotics and 10 days later he had another scan which was clear. What a relief! Since then we have only given him the recommended dry food with a little treat mixed in (half a tin of Tuna, a bit of chicken or some doggy sausage) - never bones. He heats exactly the same as his sister and she's never ill (touch wood). Thanks again.

lezzpezz
November 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I am relieved to hear your dog has recovered. I have seen first hand how quickly some gastrointestinal problems can develop and the outcome of such cases.

It is great that he is on a strict diet that works for him too! This is something you likely have to keep a sharp eye on all the time!

Glad that all things worked out for the best!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 12th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Blue Roan glad to hear the your guy has recovered. Would love to see a picture of your babies. Joey is a liver roan cocker spaniel.