Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on City of Pembroke and "Pit Bull" By-Law

gdamadg
November 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I can't remember where I mentioned it before, but I finally found a copy of Pembrokes new Animal Control By-Law. The reference for Pit Bulls is chapter 15, it starts on page 14 of the pdf document.

http://www.pembrokeontario.com/content/city_hall/documents/animalcontrol_2005.pdf

Here are a few excerpts from it.

15.2 (c) a photograph taken by the Animal Control Officer of the
Pit Bull dog;

15.8 No person, group of persons, S.P.C.A, Peta or other
like gatherings shall transfer a Grandfathered Pit Bull dog to a
resident of the City except by gift and shall ensure that all
aspects of Section 15.2 are complied with.

15.12 (b). No owner of a Pit Bull dog shall fail to muzzle a dog when being moved within a vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by any person(s) other than the owner and/or the owner’s immediate family.

Well that's enough of that. I am pretty sure taking a picture of your dog for a database is profiling and is illegal? But I am not a law expert. Any one that lives in Pembroke are not allowed to adopt a "Pit Bull" unless the organization that they get it from waves all fees and grants it to them as a gift. And if I go shopping in the city and see a friend I can't pick him up. Unless I muzzle my dog, even if they know each other and their is no risk.

I have to drive through their to get to some stores which were built just outside of the city limits, cause the Town Council are a bunch of backwards umm, you fill in the blank. The only store I will shop at, in Pembroke is the Berry's. The girl that works there is a AmStaff owner and the owner is very supportive of our cause. I get deals from them and get in trouble if I don't bring Sprint in with me. lol, so they can give him treats. :thumbs up

Georgiapeaches
November 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
That bylaw is bs. Completely ridiculous.

gdamadg
November 26th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Georgiapeaches,

My thoughts and anyone around here exactly. When they had their public hearing, they had the only guy from animal control there as their "expert". I wasn't there, but someone taped it, I am hoping to get a copy. Apparently this guy hates all big dogs and is using this as an excuse to "cleanse" the city. There is a girl that lives in my community, which is intertwined with Pembroke in many ways, was there and is an owner of 3 Pit's. The council was apparently rude to her and made the girl cry. After I get the tape, I will give an update.