Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Painting

poodletalk
November 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I am doing house repairs and decided to paint the living room next weekend.
My leather sofa is a deep wine red, my tables are cherry wood. I have wooden floors. What color should I paint the walls? My friend suggested Pale Daffodil 370C-2 and have cushions on my sofa of yellow and wine red. Which will pull the room together.(My husband doesn't want too dark of a color because it will take three coats of paint and he finds dark colors depressing!)
My living room faces a a huge park, trees, very bright and colorful

Prin
November 27th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I think yellow would be ok... I'm not sure though because everything I have is a solid color, so things are easy to match...:o

chico2
November 27th, 2005, 06:35 AM
I painted my kitchen a very light yellow,"my"den I painted a terracotta colour,because I have mexican furniture in there.
In my livingroom I painted a light taupe,personally I don't think yellow is a livingroom colour,but it's an individual choice.
When I painted my livingroom,ceiling and all,a BIG job,I swore I would not do it again:D

poodletalk
November 27th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I love the color terracotta but I think it could be too dark in my living room since my sofa is a deep wine red. I was looking at a home decor book, their was a living room that was pale yellow, with white base bords and white ceiling molding. The sofa was a dark color, (can't remember it was wine color) it looked very pretty. I am not 100% decided on pale yellow though. Any other colors you suggest? Yes, painting the living room is a huge job, but I am getting my floors sanded in the living room so I figured to do everything at the same time

catsnatcher-CDN
November 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Though yellow is nice, the most complementary color to dark red wine is a very pale olive green in an earthtone base....i'll upload a pic once photoshop loads up.

catsnatcher-CDN
November 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
pale olive earth tone: (a few shades paler than this will be just as nice)

catsnatcher-CDN
November 27th, 2005, 09:14 AM
yellow backdrop:

poodletalk
November 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
The olive green is beautiful! I thought about that color, what do you think of the coffee or sand color?

Lucky Rescue
November 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Yellow is pretty, but I think you may get tired of it quickly. I have deep raspberry curtains and accents in my dining room and did the walls a greenish khaki colour, and I like it very much. I would go with the olive.

Here's my khaki and raspberry:

poodletalk
November 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I have to choose the color by tomorrow morning!!!! I love the olive green, I have to show hubby the color. He really wanted yellow as well!! It's very hard to match the color with the paint chart samples!

chico2
November 27th, 2005, 10:05 AM
PT,I did not mean to suggest Terracotta with wine coloured sofas,that would look awful:yuck:
I just wanted to point out,that any brighter colours I have in the smaller rooms.
My Taupe livingroom,has a bit olive i it,depending on the lighting.
A muted olive is always nice,one of my favourite colours..

poodletalk
November 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Your dining room is beautiful Lucky! Yes, I think I am going to go with a green color. Another question, should I paint the hallway leading into my living room the same color?

catsnatcher-CDN
November 27th, 2005, 10:36 AM
If the hallway is visible from the livingroom, it should be the same color. You should keep the colors of your home to a minimum. The rule of thumb is usually no more than 3.

When choosing the green, make sure it's an earth tone color and that it's a shade lighter (on the strip color it should be the second or third color and no darker). Also, the higher up on the color strip, the less chances you have to paint the ceiling a lighter shade of the same color.

Coffee or sand will look pink against a red couch.

When you go to the store, bring a pillow from the couch with you to choose the green.

Lucky Rescue
November 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks poodletalk!:)

Just want to point out there is a yellow that goes nicely with that winey - red colour, but it's a deep gold. I put it in my kitchen, and it gives a sort of Southwest look. It would go beautifully with your sofas and be very rich looking!

When you go to the store, bring a pillow from the couch with you to choose the green.
Definitely do this!!

glasslass
November 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I have that deep wine red in an antique area rug in my living room. Because I have Blue & White dishes and a beautiful large oriental Blue & White, Ming vase, I've used a deep cobalt blue. I also have a lot of country blue. These colors are opposite each other on the color wheel and compliment each other. I also have celadon vases which go beautifully with both colors. Green is really neutral, it goes with everything and only needs greenery (meaning plants but mine are silk) to pull things together.

raingirl
November 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Have you tried the Behr website paint chooser program? Here is the link:

http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/index.jsp

then click Colour Smart! I think you go to the inspiration area. find some colours you like, click on them, then preview and print. This lets you use "test" rooms to view your colours.

rivers
November 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM
try this site http://forums.houseandhome.com/
Tons of inspiration and designers just waiting to help you.
One of them is from Red Heron in Toronto, also has a show on tv.

poodletalk
November 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
We will be painting the living room and hallway light green.(It's called pale sea mist 2147-50) I wanted to do it one shade darker, but hubby complained it was too dark! The same time we are painting the kitchen, our appliances are white and kitchen cabinets are white. We are going to paint the walls sundance yellow. There's not alot of wallspace in the kitchen, mostly cabinets. It will be a busy week, but hopefully everything will turn out nice

poodletalk
December 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
The floors have been sanded and stained, walls have been painted. My house is competely turned upside down!!!! This coming week will be a busy week as well, trying to put everything back to where it was!