Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas cards--yea or nay?

shannonRN
November 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I was just wondering how people feel about Christmas cards--sending them out, that is. I always do it, partly because I feel I have to, but also because I like finding really beautiful cards to send...but I also feel it's kind of a waste of time and resources. LOL I can't even make a choice on my own poll! But what do you think about sending out cards?

Prin
November 26th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Well, this year we have to because we'll be getting the pack of cards from Golden Rescue with Jemma and Boo with Santa...

But in the past, we've never sent them. I grew up with a dad who said "If we send cards one year and not the next, people will be hurt. So we won't send any at all ever." :D But it's true. Send them one year and the next people will be hurt. Lose-lose, in my opinion.

joeysmama
November 27th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I send them and I enjoy sending them. But I prefer to send them to close friends who also send to me. I have had pictures of my kids in the card for the last 13 years and it's fun to choose the picture and make the list. Have a cup of tea and sign the cards etc. And I love getting picture cards from people. I save them all. One year my friend borrowed her other friends dog for her Christmas card picture. Cracked me up.

But....it bothers me when I get cards from people I barely know--or neighbors who barely wave when you drive by and all of a sudden there's a card and I feel as though I have to get one in the mail to them right away. I keep a box of inexpensive generic cards on hand for that---and that feels like a chore to me. I agree with Prin though---once you start it's weird to leave someone off the list.

glasslass
November 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I used to send out cards. Then, about 10 years ago, we stopped. I think it has to do with the fact we use email so much now. Some distant friends and relatives we only heard from once a year on Xmas cards. Now, with email, we are keeping up with each other frequently. I do send a very few to some elderly relatives. It's more out of respect than anything else. I barely know them, but feel the need to include them.

melanie
November 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
oh how timely.

I DONT WANNA SEND ANY STUPID CHRISTMAS CARDS, THEIR STUPID AND A WASTE OF PAPER AND MY STUPID TIME, BUT.....

i odnt get a choice, which i think totally sucks. no one ever sends me a christmas card, only my lovely nana and maybe an aunty, thats it no one ever sends me cards, it makes you feel all rejected when my sisters house is full of them:o booo hoooo for me:D

so the other day i announce to hubby and sister taht all can get stuffed this year and im not doing them, to my nan and aunt yes but thats it. well stupid and his best mate went crazy at me, saying i just had to cause so many ppl cam e to my wedding and such, so what i say, did i promise to always write at christmas during the ceremony, no i didnt. but they dont seem to care at all, they see it as my duty (but i love it that everyone can come to my wedding but not a single person sends me a card).

but stupid and his best mate did not offer to do them for me, why should i have to, i dont wanna and see it as some stupid chore. grrrr i hate being forced to do anything, its not in my nature.

so im gunna get some cheap cards, write something very short and stupid in them , and post em and the nightmare will end. so then stupid and his best mate can go and get totally stuffed.

not to mention that is a hell of alot of paper for no real reason other than being polite, it just kills me. i dont give birthday cards to anyone over the age of 15yo due to the waste of paper so why at xmas....

well im gunna do such a shoddy job no one will ever question me again...

ohhhhhwwwwww, i jsut dont wanna:o :o :rolleyes:

Rick C
November 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Not only do we send Christmas cards but another doggy board I'm on has organized a Christmas card exchange (five each) . . . . . so MORE Christmas cards!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BMDLuver
November 28th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I don't send Christmas cards mainly due to the fact that by the time I would get around to sending them, they wouldn't arrive on time. :eek:

pags
November 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I stopped sending Christmas cards years ago when I realized that I was having to search for people to send them to - and then I either felt like an enormous hypocrit for sending a card to someone I hadn't even thought about in about a year.. or I was feeling like Quasimoto when it hit me that I had no friends...

Roxy's_MA
November 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I wanted to send some out, but it is already creeping up so fast, I am not sure if I will get them done by Christmas. I have a whole bunch of family in Winnipeg that would love to hear from me. Hopefully I will at least get those ones done. I was supposed to get a picture taken for my dad for Christmas as well. Oh well my grade 10 picture can stay in the frame one more year!

Roxy's_MA
November 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Well, this year we have to because we'll be getting the pack of cards from Golden Rescue with Jemma and Boo with Santa...

I wanted cards like this. What a great fundraising Idea!

Prin
November 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I wanted cards like this. What a great fundraising Idea!
I know! I'm waiting for them with angst!

Quasimoto... Pags, yer funny.:D

shannonRN
November 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Boy I never thought of myself as hypocritical for sending out cards to people I haven't thought about since last christmas! I always thought of it as thoughtful--especially when it comes to my husband's relatives in Texas, most of whom I've never even met.

melanie, stick to your guns--last year I had to reschedule my whole life to be able to attend friends' and work parties, get the shopping done, bake my goodies etc so finally I said I'm not sending cards--too busy. My husband had a cow, which was fine with me, but then he went out on his own, bought the cards and sent them out himself.

I have had a hard time finding any cards I like this year. I finally bought some yesterday, but they have glitter on them, of all things. I am so NOT a glitter person, and of course I opened them on the way home and there's glitter all over the car. Mark took the car to work today and I forget to remind him of the glitter, so I hope he's not all sparkly today. LOL. I think I'll put a tarp down when I write these things out.