Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calling all Moms

mom of rotties
November 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I have a dilemma, my 7 year old has pink eye and requires ointment in the eye. Usual treatment. Here is the problem how in the heck do I get him to sit,lay down to get this in his eye.... HELP I have to do this but it is becoming a fight. Anybody got any tricks I am desperate..........

StaceyB
November 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Get it ready and massage the face kind of gentle but rough. Then put the drops in while you massage. Whatever you do don't restrain him because he will think there is something wrong and won't let you get it in.

rivers
November 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I don't know if this will help, but I'm quoting from my dog book:

"To apply ointment, gently pull the lower eyelid down and deposit a ribbon of ointment inside it. Close the eyelids with your fingers to distribute the ointment."

"Have someone else hold your dog allows you to perform the job. The assistant should tuck the dog under one arm, placing a hand on his chest or grasping the front legs. The other hand, which is brought under the head to cup the cheek and skull area, holds the dog's head close to the assistant's body. Keep the dog at waist level to avoid being bitten in the face."

mom of rotties
November 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I guess I should have told you it is my son not a fur baby. But thank you for the advice This is going to be fun as he thinks it will hurt and we have told him it wont. Kids whatever would we do without them. Makes life interesting to say the least.

badger
November 26th, 2005, 11:06 AM
A little bribery wouldn't hurt...some kind of treat?

joeysmama
November 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
My kids are 23 and 19 now. I've been through tons of these scenarios and you probably won't believe me now but there will come a time when you'll miss these days. I miss my kids being young:( . (I have to say that I really enjoy them now too. I have no teenage horror stories and I think they're a lot of fun, really great kids--it was just nice to have them around more !)

Anyway---patience is the key I think. You'll have to sit and explain it to him---at a time when you AREN'T getting ready to put the ointment in. If you're talking about it with the ointment in your hand he may be too anxious to listen. Be honest with him. Tell him he needs it---this is non-negotiable. It won't hurt but it will feel really weird and uncomfortable. And bribery is not a terrible thing. I don't believe in bribing a kid to stop a temper tantrum in a grocery store---but I would think of this as more of a reward for having done something tough than a real bribe.

Good luck !!

Melinda
November 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I grew up on eye drops because of an allergy, as with my own children, allow them to do it themselves, show him how, help him, tell him you'll hold his eye open for him while he does the drops! He'll feel important and you'll be relaxed, I practice this in my daycare also

glasslass
November 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM
My hubby is a big baby about eyedrops. When he had cataract surgery, I gleefully :evil: helped him put them in. He finally got over the reluctance. So...... how you approach this will probably make a big difference in later years.:D I LOL when I read River's response. Kids, pets, hubbies, all soooooo similar!