Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you know what a coach bag is?

Shamrock
November 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Do you own one..or want one for Christmas maybe?
Would you spend the money on one even if you "could" afford it?

I actually didnt even know what they were! (must be hopelessly out of the loop) but read where they were just a "must-have" - a fablulous gift to give or receive.
www.coach.com
Everyone has the own ideas on what extravagance is, but to me, $400..(and up).. just WAY too pricey for a handbag.
I couldnt justify spending that much - even if I "could" afford that kind of lavish spending. ( well.. unless we won the lottery perhaps;)

Designer labels are expensive, but for some .. well worth it for themselves and/or their children.

For others, knock-offs a reasonable fascimile more in their budget..

Me... I am not sure if I ever was "that" concerned about wearing designer labels... but certainly am not now..:)

An average price for a handbag to me would be around sixty bucks.
I thought that 'was" average..:D .
Maybe it isnt?

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I still haven't ever bought a handbag. I just bought a $20 wallet at Costco a couple of weeks ago. I'm by far not in the fashion...

Shamrock
November 26th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Prin, well I'm sure not either.
I realize some people can do both, but I'd rather see my extra money going towards the homeless... human and pet both.

I find it interesting that some "non-pet" people roll their eyes at the "waste" of buying the high quality more expensive pet foods, and snicker at indulging dog and cats and other critters with modest gifts at the holiday season.

SnowDancer
November 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I have a Coach purse and a Moschino purse - but I bought them at a resale shop - where I buy most of my clothing. It is the dog that gets all of the new stuff. The Moschino bag was new - started off at $350 and was reduced - after 1 1/2 years - I kept watch - to $80. I paid $75.00 for the Coach bag - neither is a not knock-off. Some resale stores will sell knockoffs for as much as $150 - that I would not do. Both of my purses are classic in style - I don't care for overly trendy looking items or the patterned Gucci type of thing.

Puppyluv
November 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I'm a purse fanatic, but am only really into lulu guinness (www.luluguinness.com) They are as expensive as hell, so I've only ever gotten them second hand.
I prefer to spend my money on shoes.... mmmm shoes.....:thumbs up

amber416
November 27th, 2005, 12:56 AM
ahh coach..i have a few (pink) coach bags and i love them. I used to work retail at a big department store so i got a really great discount on them...now that i don't work there anymore, i am finding it hard to justify spending the money on designer items, though.

joeysmama
November 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I have several coach bags but I've never paid $400.00 for one !! I think they're wonderful.. They're well made. They don't tear or wear out--you just can't kill these things. Having said that I have to wonder; I can see that there is a difference between something that isn't made well and something that is, but after a certain point how well made can something be? I mean a bag can just be so good right? Unless it's made of titanium how MUCH better can it be? I was in Saks and saw a cute pants and top set. Really darling and I thought it would be worth a little more money. But the pants were 360 dollars !! The top was like 425 or something like that--maybe vice versa but you get the idea. (And there are children in every community without enough to eat or decent clothes to wear.) AND--it was trendy. Not something classic that you could wear for years.

I think at that price you're paying for bragging rights !

(Just so you won't think I'm too self indulgent, I also have a darling handbag I get tons of compliments on and I paid 12 bucks for it in Marshall's! And two that my mother found at the Farmer's Market that are great. About 3 bucks for the both of them, new. I have to re-sew the strap on one but it's adorable.)

glasslass
November 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Designer items have never been important to me. I just look for soft leather on sale. I probably spend a 10th of that amount. But, yesterday we spent $425 on 2 American Flyer work engines (electric train) that sold for no more than $29 in the mid-1950's. Everyone has something they don't mind indulging in - different tastes for different folks!

joeysmama
November 27th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Glasslass that's really true. My husband wouldn't see anything wrong with what you spent on those trains. But we had to talk him into spending the 5 bucks on cinderblocks that my daughter wanted for her dorm room. He didn't see the merit in that--lol !! (He did go buy them for her--and gave her $$ for the drive etc.--I don't want to make him sound like an ogre.)

But trains and guitars? Well those are worth the big bucks.

Me? I would rather spend money on books. Sending surprises to the kids, and salon visits are lovely !

I guess we've all got our weaknesses.

melanie
November 27th, 2005, 04:38 PM
im cheap, and a born recycler so as you can imagine paying over $50 for such an item is unheard of, i could if i wanted but why bother, is all materialistic and im trying really hard to minimise that in my life (a big issue for me living near the big materialistc city of sydney, wehre ones social standign is guaged by their mobile phone, yuck), and hell i jsut dont need anything. in my community i would be robbed daily if i had a very fancy bag, tis a poor town....

i bought my last bag at kmart, $20 and it lasted years. i bought my gucci purse (i know fancy schmancy eh) for $40 on sale from $80 about 5yrs ago, and its still going and will for years to come, i see $40 as a big cost and sort of investment, if it dont last then it wont be replaced, and it took me ages to buy the dam thing, im jsut not comfortable with money..

i love checking out the secound hand charity stores for bags especially in fancy and rich country towns like the retirement ones., recently my sister and i reached into a pile and pulled out the same bag, it was a brand name and just nice lookin, not to worn, and really cheap, needless to say my big bully sister walked away with that bargain, this little sis had no hope in hell of getting it.

nup if i have to i will happily keep my money in my shoe, i used to for a fair while you know:D . it was funny when you ran and the change jingled:D

for eg. hey when i was younger i did not want to buy a watch (i was poor very poor), so i used to carry a wall clock in my bag to tell time, mum found out and got me a watch for a birthday about a year later, dont know why, the clock told the time really well, see im no fancy chicken for sure......

hubby gave me the best compliment ever the other day, he said 'mel, i truly think your a born recycler' now thats a thrill for a girl like me for sure:D so how about recycling your nicer hand bags, i wil lsurely give them a good home:D :D