Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quite the scare...

Hunter's_owner
November 25th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Well yesterday started off as any normal Thursday, and then all of a sudden...wow!!!

Hunter started to throw up. So I figured okay, no big deal, but then he wouldn't walk and if he did make a step or two he would have to stretch his whole body right out, he was shivering, and drooling. He began drooling so much, and licking everything (his front legs were wet). And then he threw up again and again and you could clearly see he was very distressed. So I called the vet and explained and they said to come on with him. So we drove for 20 minutes (the closest vet for an emergency) and got there, the whole while he was stretching and licking and drooling, I was terrified.

Anyways the vet gave him a full exam, no fever, stomach felt ok, but she could see the symptoms as well. So she gave him needle to reduce stomach acids, and some sucralfate to give after and said only little bits of water for the rest of the afternoon and night and to call her back at 7.

By 7, he was still doing that stretching thing, almost like a normal stretch but different enough to know that it was different, but other than that he was 'almost' back to normal. So today he has to eat little portions of a special food from the vets as well. And he seems fine (but VERY hungry).

And...we still don't know what caused it...any ideas???

Oh yes and one more point, he has allergies to the chicken based food he is eating and Wednesday night I began to switch him over...He eats 2 and 1/2 cups of food once a day and I mixed a little less than 1/2 cup of the new lamb and rice food in with it...do you think that that little bit of food could have caused such problems???

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated...

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2005, 11:29 AM
OH that is scary! Who knows - he could have grabbed something off the ground and eaten without you knowing.

The drooling was no doubt from nausea and the stretching and shaking may have been from pain, but not sure.

The changeover in food should not cause anything worse then maybe loose stools for a day or two.

If you're only feeding him once a day, I suggest twice a day to keep his stomach from becoming too empty. That can cause vomiting, but it's usually bile.

Hunter's_owner
November 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah that had to be it, I guess he could have eaten just about anything...who knows.

About the change in food, that is what I had thought, and with the little amount in with his regular food, I can't see it causing that big of a problem.
So next week when we get him back onto his regular food and off of the special vet food for gastro probs, I will have to try the lamb and rice again, hopefully with better results. But I guess if it happens again we will know what it was!

I am thinking about switching him to two meals a day, but I'm not sure, because he doesn't have a problem with only one meal, and he is 5 and has been fed like this since he went onto adult food, but maybe after this I will, because today and tomorrow he has to be fed every 4-6 hours, so it will be quite a shock going from those feedings back to only 1.

Thanks for your response, it makes me feel better to get someone else's opinion, I think I am extra paranoid when it comes to Hunter...haha.

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I would definitely do two meals a day. A big dog eating a full day's rations only once every 24 hours could be a candidate for bloat.

I know he's been eating this way for 5 years, but I think this would be a change for the better!:)

glasslass
November 25th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Don't ever feel silly for being "paranoid" about your fur-baby. Most of the time they don't show they're not feeling well. When they finally do show some distress, it's pretty serious. On another thread, someone mentioned the theory is that in a wild pack, the weak and injured are killed-survival of the fittest. I'm glad it's turned out well.

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Don't some doggies just not tolerate lamb? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure. If you try the new food again and get the same reaction, switch to something without lamb. There are fishy foods on the market if you end up needing one.:)

Oh, and we're all in the same boat here- I think all of us would have been panicking.;)

Hunter's_owner
November 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Hi all, thanks again...

If anyone else has heard anything about some dogs not being able to tolerate lamb, can you let me know???

This may be it after all, if that is the case.

raingirl
November 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Our dog has a sensitivity to lamb. makes him really itchy and hives and makes his skin all red.

Hunter's_owner
December 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Well after a week of getting Hunter back onto his regular (chicken-based) diet that we think he is allergic to, I put some more lamb and rice inwith it, to try the switch again, and we had the same results!!!

So the scare that we had when we thought that he had ate something poisonous, was really due to the lamb and rice.

This last time I added 1/4 cup to 1 cup of his regular stuff, and very early the next morning he started to throw up again. He didn't get as sick this time, because there was less lamb and rice, (I took your advice and started to feed him twice a day now). But he did get sick again so it has to be it.

I am glad we figured out the problem, but now I'm not sure what to do because he is still eating the food that we think he is allergic to, and I was really hoping that the lamb and rice would help. Oh well...

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Maybe look into fishier foods. Do you know what he's allergic to in the chicken food? You'd have to get a food without common ingredients.

These might be good to look at:
Natural Balance Fish and Sweet potato (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/SPFish.html) (You can look at their duck and potato too)
Solid Gold Wolf King (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170) (This is what I feed my babies- one has a chicken intolerance and the other is allergic to wheat and corn)
Wellness Fish and Sweet potato (http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot)

SnowDancer
December 10th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I had a dog who was allergic to lamb. My eskimo gets very hyper on lamb and does not digest it well. Eskies are very sensitive to corn and do best on a fish based diet. My guy gets Fromm's Salmon A La Veg and for cookies, wheat free Northern Biscuits. Sensitivity to wheat isn't nearly as bad as to corn and lamb - and of course he does LOVE baguette so needs to save his wheat ration. Hope you find a food that works for your pup - until we realized the problem with the corn and Eskies - he was a pup - we were thinking digestive enzyme - only dog I ever had that had the corn problem - and how he loved fresh corn.