Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boots for Dogs

BeagleMum
November 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I desperately need to get boots for my babies. The two of them were in pain this morning when I was walking them. I usually don't have to go on a salted road but I took a different turn this morning to avoid a dog that was coming in our direction. It turns out that htey ended up following us so I had to go around the block. One whole section of it was salted and the two of them were whining because it hurt their little feet. I kept trying to ge tthem to walk in the snow bank but that's didn't work so well. I almost had to carry the two of them.

Anyway, I want to get them some boots but I have no idea what ones to look for. I need some that the water and salt won't soak in to. Any suggestions?

Lucky Rescue
November 25th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I got boots from www.muttluks.com

However, someone in know in Ottawa said she got very reasonably priced boots at PetStep in OTT.

BeagleMum
November 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Where is PetStep?

BernerLver
November 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=Deb's Lucky Rescue]I got boots from www.muttluks.comQUOTE]

I did too and I love them. They are a little expensive but totally worth the price.

Friends of ours purchased cheaper boots and didn't have much luck with them in terms of quality and keeping them on the dogs feet.

Just an FYI for sizing, I have a BMD and he wears size large.

Good luck in your search.

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I got my Muttluks at the petsmart on Clyde (I think?) in Ottawa. They were $51.99, if you are shopping for prices... Jemma is a husky mix and has smallish husky feet and is a medium. Boo has bigger feet than any dog that isn't a giant breed and he's snug as a bug in large.

dodo
November 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Mutlucks has 2 different types.One has fleece in it but is less waterproof from what superpet told me.Which one do you guys prefer?

I bought large non fleece ones and cost around 60 dollars tax in at superpet on yonge.

pitbulliest
November 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM
the waterproof ones with that leather type material at the bottom is the best...it prevents the salt from getting in and they stay nice and dry and warm..I got em and they are totally worth it for the winter...just make sure not to strap the velcro too tight...it cuts off the circulation if you overdo it

StaceyB
November 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM
From what I remember the fleece ones are the old version of Muttluks.

BernerLver
November 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
the waterproof ones with that leather type material at the bottom is the best

These are the ones we purchased as well. We didn't purchase them with warmth as the intent but rather cleanliness and to prevent salt irritation. However tehy do keep him dry and warm.

We live in a new neighborhood so they have really helped in keeping his feet much cleaner therfore reducing clean up time in the morning after his walk when we are trying to get ready for work.

Also, they protect his feet because there are a variety of things lying around in the neighborhood that he could step on. We are careful but you can't see everything under the snow.

PetFriendly
November 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
There are muttluks knock offs at PetValu in Kanata. They are close to the realy thing but half the price. I went all out and bought the real thing though based on the comments I got that its worth it.

Prin
November 29th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I have the knock offs from last year and the nails go through the first day. (Didn't I already say that somewhere? :crazy: )

kuroguro
December 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM
we just bought our dog, kuro some booties from neo-paws in toronto. it was grand central station in there! lots of dogs getting fitted for the winter. they seem a bit tricky to get on though and i haven't tried since the weekend (it's been mild here with no snow, no salt). kuro doesn't love it, to say the least. and i am worried they are not on properly. anyone else have neo-paws? their website: www.neopaws.com. maybe i should have gone for muttluks...sigh

Lissa
December 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
kuro doesn't love it, to say the least. and i am worried they are not on properly. anyone else have neo-paws? their website: www.neopaws.com. maybe i should have gone for muttluks...sigh

Yes, I have neopaws for Dodger too...I do find that most people have muttluks!

I find that the neopaws have a real snug fit for Dodger because of their shape but if you don't get them on perfectly, they do slide off...By the end of last winter, I had them figured out pretty good and was really impressed with them.;)

kuroguro
December 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
thanks, lissa. i'll keep trying! hopefully kuro and i will be pros at this too by the end of winter. :fingerscr

mummummum
December 4th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I have three large dogs and bought the high-performance neo-paws boots @ $80 a pop - we do ALOT of walking, hiking and biking. But, I have the darnedest time getting them on and usually give up. Living in downtown Toronto, aka home of the salt-freaks, boots are a necessity and really I would like them to wear them year-round to protect their paws. Any hints on getting them on ?

/Suzanne

Yes, I have neopaws for Dodger too...I do find that most people have muttluks!

I find that the neopaws have a real snug fit for Dodger because of their shape but if you don't get them on perfectly, they do slide off...By the end of last winter, I had them figured out pretty good and was really impressed with them.;)

Lucky Rescue
December 4th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Any hints on getting them on ?

Not sure what you mean....? Are the dogs struggling, or you just can't get the boots on even if the dogs hold still?

What I do is straddle my dog while she is standing and reach down in front of her to put them on. I find this to be the easiest way.

If your boots, like mine, have the velcro strips, they need to be pulled quite tight in order for the boots to stay on, especially in deep snow.

joeysmama
December 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I have a question about the fit of the boots. I bought a pair of boots that zip up the front and then have the velcro strap that goes around the ankle. My husband insisted that we get the small since the puppy is only 5 pounds (probably a little more now) and according the the guide on the package should be a small. I argued that they looked too small. He IS tiny but he's also furry. It was such a struggle to get him in those things.

I'm going out later to get some muttlucks (or the knock-offs, I'll have to see if they look decent) and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on getting the medium even though he's a little guy.

We're still in housebreaking mode so he's ot going for long walks or staying out a long time. I don't want to struggle for a half hour before every potty. We'll have to start getting dressed again 10 minutes after we're in the house. But I don't want them to fall off either.:confused:

joeysmama
December 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I have a question about the fit of the boots. I bought a pair of boots that zip up the front and then have the velcro strap that goes around the ankle. My husband insisted that we get the small since the puppy is only 5 pounds (probably a little more now) and according the the guide on the package should be a small. I argued that they looked too small. He IS tiny but he's also furry. It was such a struggle to get him in those things.

I'm going out later to get some muttlucks (or the knock-offs, I'll have to see if they look decent) and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on getting the medium even though he's a little guy.

We're still in housebreaking mode so he's ot going for long walks or staying out a long time. I don't want to struggle for a half hour before every potty. We'll have to start getting dressed again 10 minutes after we're in the house. But I don't want them to fall off either.:confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 5th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mumumm have three large dogs and bought the high-performance neo-paws boots @ $80 a pop - we do ALOT of walking, hiking and biking. But, I have the darnedest time getting them on and usually give up. Living in downtown Toronto, aka home of the salt-freaks, boots are a necessity and really I would like them to wear them year-round to protect their paws. Any hints on getting them on ?

/Suzanne

it seems I am not the only one having trouble with the NEO paws. It seems the company needs to make them more user friendly. I usually give up too. I will try again today to see if I can get them to stay on.

kuroguro
December 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM
good to know that i am NOT the only one having a hard time with neopaws! have you checked the instructional video on their website? www.neopaws.com. i've watched it twice but i am still not convinced i have them on right. let me know if you two have more luck.....

and yes, toronto is the city of salt-hysteria! kuro was limping this morning on his walk... i tried to put the boots on but gave up. i am going to have to get this right soon.

Lissa
December 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
So sorry - I forgot about this thread...I don't really have a trick to getting them on but I found that I couldn't just slide in his paw and tighten the straps. I always put his paw in, and then make Dodger step on that foot (put his weight on it) so that I get the best fit...I hope that makes sense...sometimes I have to do this a few times before its perfect. I find the best time to tighten the straps is when he is putting weight on the paw - otherwise his paw slides up the boot!

I also think that a lot depends on your dogs feet - Dodger is a hound and has very tight/compact feet but for a Shephard who's toes spread out more, I think its harder to get the neopaws on properly...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I seem to get the front paws on okay, but the back paws are the ones that are causing me problems. You are supposed to put them on when the dog is standing, Joey usually sits before they are on, so I try to hold him up. Then when I have them done up I check and the back ones are already falling off. Joey will sit and refuse to move once they are on, even if I put a peanut butter sandwich 5 feet away from him.

Lissa
December 5th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Joey will sit and refuse to move once they are on, even if I put a peanut butter sandwich 5 feet away from him.

If you take his leash, loop it under his stomach you can use it to keep him standing (although you'd probably need a helper at first because you won't have enough hands!!)

You mean that Joey won't walk at all with them on!?

mummummum
December 5th, 2005, 10:55 PM
It's hard to describe - the grrrls aren't struggling - it's me, slapping the floor in frustration. But, I know it can't be ALL me. The high-performance boot is constructed so that the sole rides high and is made of rigid rubber, the neoprene front flap is seamed all the way across the front of the paw and the secondary flap is seamed the other way behind it so that you have to fold the flaps down, hold them open with one hand, giving you a fairly narrow teardrop shape to push the paw into the flat of sole - with your other hand of course. I start off straddling ...my helpful grrrls hold their leg up and drop their paw but by the time I get it pushed into the sole by the time I pull the flaps up, the weight bearing isn't happening or the weight bearing happens but not long enough for me to wrap the three miles of velcro around them. The front paws are easier than the hinds but holy moly - we're talking twenty minutes to a 1/2 hour here for the two of them. And inevitably one to eight boots come off at some point on our hike. I'm not going to buy my new boy - who is even bigger and came with no leash-training, never mind boots - anything until I can figure this thing out.

/Suzanne

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Lissa

You mean that Joey won't walk at all with them on!?

thats exactly what I mean.

I actually just wrote to the company and complained. I will be returning Joeys shoes, and looking for something more user friendly. It shouldnt take 30 minutes to put on dogs only to have them fall off. I tried again this morning with Joey. He was great about, but I was tearing my hairout. I have them in a big envelope and I am about to go to the post office and mail them back.

Mumm

I get frustrated with just one dog, I cant imagine with three. I think I might try the Muttluks but would like to take Joey to a store that sells them first so we can try them on.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I mailed back my Neopaws I am not sure what there return policy is but they should be receiving them in few days. I will now hit the pet stores and see if maybe I can find some Muttlucks but first I want to try them out on him.

Lissa
December 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I hope that Joey walks with the Muttlucks on...perhaps the neopaws were uncomfortable for him!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM
I checked out all the petstores in town yesterday no one had Muttluks so I may need to take Joey to Kelowna. I have mailed back the Neopaws. For the time been I bought Joey a cheap pair of generic fleece snow boots for $20.00Not high quality like the neopaws put what good is high quality if you cant even put them on.

Lissa
December 8th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I've been thinking about ordering a few pairs of fleecy type boots from a sledding outfitter...I know they wouldn't last as long because they are not meant for city walking but they look really easy to put on and pretty comfortable...(I can't find one of Dodger's neopaws and I don't really want to spend $70 on the Muttluks:p )

I hope you find a good pair for Joey...Let us know how he likes them if you do!! :)