Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi I'm new

bootsma
November 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM
My name is Melanie and my 3 girls, (18,16,11) my husband and I are excited about welcoming our first puppy to our home. Can anyone recommend a good breeder for either a Bichon or Havanese? We live in Langley, B.C.

Thanks ahead for your help

kayla
November 24th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure about your area but this is a good thread to know what to look for in a good breeder: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18613

Good luck and welcome to the board!

bootsma
November 25th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Thank you!

Can you tell me any that are in Canada? I don't mind shipping charges. Also, some on this site say where breeders don't advertize. How do you find them? What is the best way to search out a Havanese or Bichon breeder?

Melanie

poodletalk
November 25th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Bootsma,

Have you thought of going to your local humane society? I go to the SPCA Monteregie to walk dogs sometimes, sometimes they have bichons in looking for a home. Why don't you go to www.petfinder.com to see if their's any humane societys or rescues have a bichon in that's looking for a home?

BMDLuver
November 25th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the board. If you are looking for a good breeder, I would suggest you contact the CKC or AKC breed specific clubs and then start researching from there. Bichons are a dime a dozen but Havanese are much more rare.

bootsma
November 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I have checked the shelter. They're all pitbulls and big dogs.
Thanks BMD for the info. I will try that.

SnowDancer
November 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I know for a fact you will find it easier to find a breeder of Bichons than Havanese - and would have to pay considerably more for a Havanese. They are in the rare breed class. There is one that plays with my Eskimo at socialization - they get along famously - they should - have many of same characteristics. Havanese are also similar to the Italian Bolognese dog. Just a tip - there is a Havanese website with a test as to whether a Havanese is for you - it clearly states that the word "shredder" should be added to dog the list of pertinent dog traits! Certainly my Eskie can spot a tissue a mile away but Havanese are worse. Also suffer from even more separation anxiety than the average pet these days and they all seem to suffer from it. Wouldn't hurt to take the quiz. I am sure you would have to go to US for a Havanese. Can't remember where I found it - might be under Havanese rescue, but everything it said was true. Hope you find a pup you want - and who knows, it might be neither of these breeds. It will be the dog who gives you that look in the eye. I never expected to have a fluffy white dog - and here I am in the snow and slush of Toronto with a snow/mud loving Eskie. But he is a sweetheart.

bootsma
November 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Thank you Snow Dancer

I'm thinking that it would be too expensive for us to get a Havanese. Maybe we will stick to the Bichon.

Have a great day!!

Melanie

SnowDancer
November 25th, 2005, 03:57 PM
You are welcome - but it would be fun to take the test. Someone told me how well my Eskie played with the darling little Havanese so I looked them up. I think if you did the "Is a Havanese right for me" test, you would get a huge laugh. Darling little dog, I have met him - and does appear SO innocent!

mona_b
November 27th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Here is a listing of breeders for the Havanese

http://www.dogsincanada.com/breeds/havanese.html

And for the Bichon.

http://www.dogsincanada.com/breeds/bichon_frise.html

Just a suggestion.If you are considering getting one from a breeder,I would definately make sure I personally go and see the breeder.I would want to see the parent/s,see the temperment of them,what the place looks like,where the pups stay..Also remember,you will probably be put on a waiting list.This will happen before the breeding takes place.And don't stick with one breeder.Check them all out.

When I got my first GSD,I went to the dog shows.I watched the dogs in action.Then I talked to all the breeders.From there I chose the one I wanted.I went to her kennel.I spent time with the Dam and the other dogs.I saw all the paper work(pedigrees,health/genetic certificates,Temperment Tested)saw the pics of all 5 generations.She had show champions and titled dogs(SchH III).I also went to the breeder who had the Sire.I was put on a Neuter contract.And if I didn't show proof that it was done at 6 months,I would have been taken to court and sued for $5000.

If you are going to go to a breeder,please take your time when doing so....:)

Also,you can check out Breed Rescues.These are rescues that deal with these breeds.