Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you spot the difference?

PEDPA
November 24th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi I am new! We posted a hello in the newbie section and to start our new little chit chat spree off, I'd like to start with some humour from Caspar.....Called can you spot the difference?

PEDPA
November 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
ok it's not tooooo obvious...lol......what's different? I dont know how this happened....is it normal? Did he lick it off?:p

jesse's mommy
November 24th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.....That's a tough one.

kayla
November 24th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Hmmm, maybe he was sniffing around places he shouldn't have been!:p

StaceyB
November 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
It was caused by the cold. A mild case of frost bite.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
He had a few too many drinks?

Inverness
November 25th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Taken from canismajor.com:

Some dogs experience loss of pigment on the nose leather or blistering of the nose. Collies and related breeds can get a weepy, crusty dermatitis on the nose if they spend too much time in the sun. Treatment for Collie nose involves keeping the dog out of the sun and treating the ulcerated area with a steroid preparation. Once the nose is healed, it can be blackened with tattoo ink to protect it from sunlight.
Other causes of loss of nose color are vitaligo, snow nose, and plastic dish nasal dermatitis

Vitaligo causes black pigment in the nose and sometimes the lips to fade to brown.

Snow nose causes the nose to fade to brown in winter; normal color returns as summer approaches. Snow nose occurs mainly in white-coated breeds; the color change can become permanent in older dogs. It is not associated with disease.

Plastic dish dermatitis can occur if the dog eats or drinks out of plastic or rubber bowls. It is triggered by a reaction to an antioxidant found in the dishes.

goldenblaze
November 25th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Taken from canismajor.com:

Snow nose causes the nose to fade to brown in winter; normal color returns as summer approaches. Snow nose occurs mainly in white-coated breeds; the color change can become permanent in older dogs. It is not associated with disease.

Very true happen last year to Blaze, now just the last few days started with both Blaze and Frodo. Snow nose is common with retrievers:)

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Plastic dish dermatitis can occur if the dog eats or drinks out of plastic or rubber bowls. It is triggered by a reaction to an antioxidant found in the dishesI've seen dogs with this. You change the bowls to metal ones and within a couple of months, the pigment comes back.

StaceyB
November 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
We had a white shepherd years ago who lost hers by being out in the cold. It never came back.

Sneaky
November 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM
yep, snow nose, thats what happened
to my white haired long coat chihuahua.
Shiny black nose turned pink over one
winter when there was a lot of snow.

Puppyluv
November 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
That happened to my girl too, hers isn't as light as caspar's but is still significantly lighter. Thing is, her's didn't happen in the winter, it happened in the late spring/early summer, and it's not from her dishes. Just part of aging i guess.

PEDPA
November 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I just chalked it up to being a kissy dog! He likes to say hello to other dogs alot so my husband blames it on the other dogs butt's hahahahaha....well he lost the colour around 9 months old, so it's not age, he hates the cold and never goes out for more than a quick pee or poo and he lost in in the summer any hoo, an he has metal bowls, switched from ceramic. Anymore ideas? I liked the too much to drink one...lol... I don't need explamnations. just thought it would be fun to see what people thought..... i thought it was cute! Remeber on Sesame street or one of those old shows..... they would sing .... one of these things is not like the other ..... hahahaha awwwww my pup is so handsome...... I'll have to find ways of shrinking my pictures and show you what a ham he is! Keep playing!

Cheers!

Caspars mom.:thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up