Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vomiting and urinary tract

ronnie
November 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Hello everyone, I have a 2 year old female cat, that's spayed and recently started doing different things. Until recently, she has not been a vocal cat at all. For about a week she has been crying alot, mostly at night and has vomited a couple of times (mostly clear liquid). I took her to the vet two days ago and was told that her white blood count wasn't normal and that there was bacteria in her urine. He gave me Baytril to take for 14 days.
My question is: Do urinary problems usually show any vomiting symptoms? I have been researching it through the web and it never mentions vomiting as a symptom. Is she crying because of pain or discomfort? I haven't seen any accidents outside of the litter box or blood in the urine. I'm just wondering if the vet has made the correct diagnosis of whats wrong.
If anyone can give me any info from their experience, I would appreciate it. I rescued Misty and her two siblings from the park as lil tiny kittens and before then, had never had cats.
Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ronnie
Zena (warrior dobe) & Misty (the black princess)

Lucky Rescue
November 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Bladder infections are very painful so could account for the crying. I don't know about the vomiting however.

Baytril is now known to be somewhat toxic to cats depending on dosage and can cause loss of vision. You might want to ask for another antibiotic.

Therefore, at this time, we strongly recommend to restrict the use of Baytril tablets in cats at a dose not to exceed 5 mg/kg/day. Previously, the dosage had been thought to be safe at as high as 50 mg/kg/day.

The company announced it is conducting a study to document the relationship between vision impairment in cats and the use of Baytril