Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gassy Kitty - does anyone else have a stinker?

Ker13
November 24th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Our 5-month old tabby Turdlet has some serious gas problems. I'm assuming it's because he can eat the older cat's food, and there's not too much we can do about that, but she was never gassy when she was a kitten. Seriously, this cat is toxic - he'll fart, there will be a moment of everyone in the room sniffing, and suddenly everyone's trying to cram into the bathroom to hide. If I said "rotten eggs," I wouldn't be saying the half of it. The vet just laughed when we complained, but didn't suggest anything. Has anyone tried alternative or homeopathic cures? Or found a none-gas-causing food? Do they grow out of this?

jawert1
November 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I would reassess what food you're feeding your lil one, sometimes that can turn on them just as fast as food can turn on us

joeysmama
November 25th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I never had this problem with my cat, but when we first had Joey he was very gassy. When we finished the food the rescue organization gave us we started him on something else and he was just fine. It was just that particular brand that didn't agree with him.

He also got very "windy" towards the end when he was constipated. Once he started going again the gas stopped.

Is he having constipation problems? If there's no way to keep him out of the older cat's food is it possible to change the brand of that food and see if it gets any better?

Maybe call another vet? I don't like that he just laughed at you. It's not just that it's smelly--the kitty can't tell you if he's uncomfortable because of it, and he may be ! Tell the vet that you're concerned that it's causing him discomfort.

In the meantime--I would buy some nice holiday candles!;)

Ker13
November 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Febreeze is definitely a wonderful thing :)

what brands did you switch to that relieved the problem? We've always fed our tortie (currently 1 yr) Whiskas wet food, and sometimes Nutrience dry food, and she's never had a problem. Apparently it doesn't work for the baby though. We've tried Hill's P/D, Whiskas dry food, am currently trying Whiskas dry kitten chow, and also bought a bag of Authority kitten food. If you go back to my other post about occasional vomiting in cats, you can see I'm trying to balance 2 problems! One kitty barfs, the other kitty toots. I don't think it's causing him any obvious discomfort, but I picked him up and hugged him last week, and he farted (loudly!) in my boyfriend's face!