Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reasons for OCCASIONAL vomiting in cats?

Ker13
November 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
First off, my kitty ISN'T sick. She eats well, plays well, poops well, is super-affectionate and doesn't complain, and usually she complains pretty fast if she doesn't like anything, so we know there isn't anything serious wrong. Also, the vet wasn't too concerned when we mentioned it.

We've read that cats will throw up out of annoyance or due to changing circumstances. Nibbley throws up maybe 2-3 times a month for a couple of months, then nothing for a couple of months, then starts up again. She's a medium-hair, and most times the vomiting seems hairball-related, but she threw up on the sofa for the first time ever last week, so I'd like some of the reasons YOUR cats throw up. Our roommate recently moved out, so her environment has changed; we moved in August, when the spite-vomiting started (we knew it was deliberate because it was usually somewhere we'd definitely notice, like under my bike or next to the balcony door; she's not allowed on the balcony, but to her irritation), and got a new kitty a month later, so her environment is less stable than it's ever been. She's never peed or had any other "accidents" anywhere she wasn't supposed to.

Any ideas?

monman
November 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. Salty has been vomiting every couple of days for about a month. The vets aren't concerned at all. The thing is, NOTHING has changed in the environment. She eats, poops, plays, has no hairballs, etc. etc., but still vomits every couple of days. I've been feeding her and her sister the same food for months and only she has been vomiting. Instead of filling their bowl for a whole day's food, now I need to control the portions and give them 1/8th of a cup at a time every few hours. This seems to be helping, but not sure how long I have to keep doing this.

Very mysterious and worrisome, but the vets think it's simply eating too fast/much.

Ker13
November 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I figured it was eating too fast too, so I'm trying dry small-bite kitten food, instead of regular dry or wet food. No vomiting yet, but it's only been 2 days.