Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive drooling

meb999
November 24th, 2005, 04:59 AM
I've noticed since last night that Buster is drooling alot and I'm a little worried. He's eating normally, and his stool is normal. He seems just like himself except for the drooling.

I looked it up on google, and read that it could be a symtom of bloat if accomanied by dry-heaving. But he's not doing anything like that, and he ate this morning....so I know it's not that....

Buster is a Boxer, so I know that I should expect some drool!! But the problem is that he usually only drools if he sees food. Since last night he's drooling non-stop. And it's not a 'normal' drool -- it's kinda liquidy, like water. But it's not buckets of drool either, it's maybe a drop every 10 seconds....

Am I being crazy-paranoid-hypochodriac, or should I take him to the vet right away???

Prin
November 24th, 2005, 09:30 AM
It could also be anxiety. Anxious doggies drool a lot.

Lucky Rescue
November 24th, 2005, 09:38 AM
As Prin said,could be anxiety. Other causes of drooling are nausea, and dental problems. Could even be something stuck between two teeth or in his gums.

Give it a day, to see if the drooling is caused by nausea over something eaten. 24 hours should be enough time for it to pass.

meb999
November 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
thanks....I'm such a worry-wort!

Lucky Rescue
November 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Nothing wrong with being a worrywart, since drooling can also be a sign of poisoning. But since your dog is eating and acting normally, it's probably something less serious.:)

meb999
November 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Well, buster is still drooling...alot!! I think it might be a side effect of Revolution since it started when I gave him a dose of it wednesday night -- I just made the connection today (it's not easy being blonde!!). He's never taken Revolution before, and I looked it up and drooling can be one of the side effects. How long can I expect this to last??

SchnauzerGirl
November 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I think that I would at least give it 24 hours but if he starts acting unusual in any way, take him to the vet ASAP. You could also call the vet and talk to them and see what they have to say...