Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some advice..regarding a dog issue.

Chameleon
September 23rd, 2003, 04:22 PM
:( I'm unsure really how to address this problem I am having with my dog, but, I'll sum it up best I can. I have a Labrador cross with a Rottweiler, he's a very large dog and black in color. He weighs about 50-70lbs and is quite healthy. Until recently that is. He may have been bitten by an animal, or was cut and recieved an infection. By looking at the wound 2 days ago, his front paw and leg had swollen to a fairly large size. Today, though, the swelling went down, but the cut is open. He won't let me come near his wound, though he isn't growling or being mean. It no doubt hurts him emensely. Without seeing a vet, is there anything I can do for him, besides, keep the wound clean and keeping an eye on his behavior? Any help would be most appreciated.

Carina
September 23rd, 2003, 09:16 PM
Well - it is good that the swelling is down! Hopefully that means it won't get infected. Is he putting any weight on it?

Keep it open and draining, with warm compresses. Watch for pus buildup or a nasty smell - these mean he really must go to the vet. If he is not putting any weight on it, he should be seen too - there are many little bones and nerves in the lower front leg. An bone infection would not only be very painful, it could be life threatening.

You may have to get someone to help you, or muzzle him, to keep the wound open and clean. Keep him in your house or someplace confined and clean. You can give him buffered aspirin for pain, adjust a human dose to his weight.

Chameleon
September 23rd, 2003, 11:40 PM
Thank you for the reply Carina, I will keep him looked after. He was putting weight on it, but for the last 2 days, he was constantly hiding. Now, he is finally walking around a bit. He is licking his leg though, I was going to invest in a Queen Collar (the one that goes over his head) but it would cost alot, his neck is huge. If it gets worse, I will seek the vet.