online or on-line?

Rick C
November 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Ok...

is it voicemail or voice mail?

is e-mail and email interchangable?

online or on-line?

voice mail

You could find different spellings for things in different countries too . . . . honour, colour, harbour in Canada and honor, color and harbor in the USA as examples.

Here's something to amuse yourself with . . . . the dictionary of urban slang

http://www.urbandictionary.com/yesterday.php

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

melanie
November 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
heck if i know lol.

but when my thesis was being marked this year, i got a big message from my school, who informed me that the standard is aussie english, not american english and they would accept nothing else, so i had to go over it jsut to be sure. the markers were not impressed at all and i really got hounded for it.

so thats organised not organzied, and most definatly colour not color....

well i didnt think it such a big deal, but apparently my uni does.....

what country are you in, canada or the us??? that will help you solve this i suppose:D

raingirl
November 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Grr...my co-worker thinks that's it's on-line and voicemail...email was just one I thought of. I don't get why she spends 40 minutes editing my work to change things like "bought" to "purchased" or "about" to "regarding" because it sounds better? Sorry....frusterating day.. I just don't get it. She said we have to find a "better way" to do this, and to think of ideas..the only one I can think of is if she was more flexible. I'm sure she is thinking the opposite saying "why can't she just be better"? It took me three months to understand my old manager's way of how she wanted me to write things, and it's probably going to take longer this time as the new manager is so different! It's not going to happen overnight.

Rick C
November 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Just google "online dictionary" and you'll get several.

Type in your words and then e-mail her the links with the correct spelling.

Or leave her a voicemail!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

glasslass
November 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Sometimes, the "correct" spelling evolves into a "common" spelling. Language evolves. Most of these words didn't even exist not that many years ago. Some words we'll be using next year haven't even been created. German is the only language I know of that was actually created, rather than evolved. And ever since, it's now evolving. They use words from other languages but keep the foreign spelling when they do so.
I like Rick's suggestion - be so conscientous and concerned with trying to do it correctly that you drive her nuts. You could have fun with this instead of being frustrated over it. Get those links ready and wait til (until?) she edits you, then send them to her - every time.

SnowDancer
November 24th, 2005, 06:14 PM
By any chance are the final reports issued under your supervisor's name? If so, then she will want them to reflect her form of presentation.