Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy going outside alone and jumping

TracyG
November 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone! I have 2 questions with regards to my 5 1/2 old golden puppy. First, I am just wondering how old most people's puppies were when they let them go outside alone? I have been going outside with my puppy everytime she needs to "go". She mostly goes to the designated spot...but not all the time. Also, she's still been getting into the garden, finding wood chips, doing some digging etc...so I have been going out with her to watch her. However, I was just wondering at what age most puppies can be "trusted" to go out alone. And, how long do your puppies stay outside in the winter??
My second question is with regards to jumping up. I have looked in previous threads but still need some help. Indy still jumps up a lot (on us, on the counter, on anything!) and is getting good at getting down when we say "off" but my main concern is that when I am lying on the couch, she'll jump right up and go for my head! I know she means no harm...but it kind of freaks me out! I have tried tenderfoot's suggestion to do the "popping" thing..but it just makes her more hyper! I try placing her paws on the ground and praising her when they are...but she'll just jump right back up again! Any thoughts? Suggestions?

jessi76
November 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I don't let my pup outside alone. Occassionally I will put him on his run, and watch him from the kitchen window, but he's only out there for 10 min. Our pup is 8 mths now, and we plan to fence an area for him in the spring, however, he will always be supervised. He also can't stay out for any length of time in the winter, 40 degrees and below and he's a pupsicle.

as for the jumping, my pup is still doing it but it is getting better. If he jumps at my head, I say OFF, and if he doesn't comply, playtime ends. I take the toys away for a few min's, and leave the room or ignore him. he quickly shows how "good" he can be, and lays at my feet. then playtime can resume.

SnowDancer
November 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
My dog is never out alone - and is always on leash. He is an Eskimo and I did same with Dachshunds and Beagle - all escape artists. A fenced yard would do nothing to keep any of these breeds in - well maybe 10 ft. for the Eskie and deep concrete foundations for the hounds. Re the jumping, well Eskies do that - but only to certain people - Eskie hugs are reserved for special people - I try to tell myself that.

LM1313
November 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
My hyper, welcoming lab / border collie mix was taught not to jump by being kneed in the chest and being commanded "off". She learned quickly what off meant and not to jump on people. So then she would bounce and jump on her hind legs a few feet away from people. :crazy:

~LM~

TracyG
November 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't mind going outside with her, but I know many friends who let their dogs just roam in their backyard...and my neighbour's dog is outside by himself all the time. I do have a "tether" that I can attach her to but perhaps I'll do that in the summer when she's bigger. I will continue to go out with her for the time being then!

I have done the "end play time and ignore the pup" thing...but I don't do it immediately. I guess I shoudl do that. THing is...she's already over 40 pounds and getting her in her "room" is very difficult! I suppose my only other option is for me to leave. I will try that. The 'knee in the chest" thing does NOT work. It just becomes a game to her and she gets more hyper. SHe's also lost 4 teeth this week so she just may be more 'Riled up" then usual. However, I was home with a cold last week and lying on the couch with kleenex in my hand just too tempting for her to ignore!

Beetlecat
November 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM
My method of stopping my dog from jumping was (if I saw him starting to jump) to turn my back on him and ignore him. I wouldn't even look at him until he stopped the behaviour, and for a moment after that too. Without any interaction and feedback from me, jumping just isn't fun anymore.

Now he does the 'dancing on hind paws in front of me' thing instead :)

He is not allowed outside alone in the city. The reason for this is logistics and the fact that if I watch him potty, I know that he has gone. And so he knows that the yard is business and not playtime.

The trap not to fall into in letting the dog outside for 'exercise'. A dog will not exercise itself enough outside, Unless the owner is outside too, playing with the dog.

Prin
November 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Just a warning: if 40lbs is getting hard for you to handle, you really, really need to get this doggy into obedience lessons asap. When a dog KNOWS they are stronger than you, that's when things get very seriously dangerous. You have to get control of this really quickly before the doggy gets too big for you to handle.

StaceyB
November 26th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I would have to agree your puppy needs to get into classes.
You need to leave the room immediately otherwise your puppy doesn't have a clue why you have left if this is what you have chosen to do. I would not knee in the chest for the reason that has been mentioned as well as the fact that you are hitting their chest plate and could cause damage.

TracyG
November 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Don't get me wrong...we took her to puppy classes and she's very obedient. We are going back in January to take a basic obedience class. I just meant that it would be easier for me to leave the room to discipline her then to try and get her into her "room". I guess I need to work on the "in your crate/room" command! Lifting her isn't going to be an option for much longer!

PetFriendly
November 27th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I find my pup is more likely to jump up if he hasn't gotten enough exercise, its as if he's too hyper to remember his manners. He still puts his feet up on the coffe table, and will also put his feet on the couch, but he gets off as soon as we tell him too and will stay off for a while. For the couch, sometimes he wants to come up so we taught him "ask nicely" and he just sits there and waits for the command.